Find radius of convergence and interval of convergence for the series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
emk
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
x^n/(2n-1) is the series. It starts at 1 and goes to infinity.

I did the ratio test on it and got abs.(x)

So the radius of convergence=1, and then I plugged -1 and 1 into the original series and got that they both converged. But the answer is [-1,1). Why aren't they both hard brackets?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
emk said:
x^n/(2n-1) is the series. It starts at 1 and goes to infinity.

I did the ratio test on it and got abs.(x)

So the radius of convergence=1, and then I plugged -1 and 1 into the original series and got that they both converged. But the answer is [-1,1). Why aren't they both hard brackets?

Pay special attention to x=1. When you plug it into your series you get ##\sum \frac{1}{2n-1}##.

You know that diverges...

Hint : Compare it to something you know diverges already.