Find Range of Ray Emitted Horizontally at Depth 150m in Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter yemmdizzle006
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sound Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
yemmdizzle006
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


speed of sound in water is 1600m/s at the surface and increases linearly with depth at a rate of 0.017/s, find the range at which a ray emitted horizontally at a source of dept 150m will reach the surface


C = sound speed in water (1500m/s)

gradient = g (0.017/s)

Homework Equations



Relevant equations I used will be calculate the Radius of the curvature of the Ray

R (curvature of Ray) = c0/g


The Attempt at a Solution



I keep getting a huge figure 883880m ...

and i know it is not correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
apparently the answer is that at 4200m, the ray emitted horizontally will reach the surface.I have no idea how my teacher came up with that.Is there some piece of information I am missing?
 
solution

x = horizontal range

c = speed of sound

d = depth

g = gradient

x = sqrt( (2*c*d) / g))

Thank you!