How Does Channel Slope Affect Water Depth?

In summary: So you can use the same values for A and P as before.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the depth of water in a rectangular channel with varying slope and width. The Manning's formula for gravity flow is used, but the lack of information about the new depth prevents the calculation of the hydraulic radius. The wetted perimeter is suggested as a missing factor, and its formula is derived as 2y+3 for a rectangular cross section. The presence of a slope in the channel is determined to not affect the calculations.
dreamliner

Homework Statement

A rectangular channel has a width of 2 meters, and an slope of 1:80. The Manning's number for the entire channel is n = 0,014. In this situation the depth is y= 1,50m. The flow of water is normal.

Further down the slope decreases to 1:150 and the width increases to b=3 meters. The waterflow Q and the MAnning's number is the same as in the situation above. Find the depth of water, y.

Homework Equations

Hydraulic radius R = A/P
Manning formula for gravity flow: Q= 1/n*A*R*S0^1/2
Froude number U/(√(g*y))

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the water flow Q= 17,04m^3/s from before. Since I also have Manning's number, width and slope, I'm thinking Manning's formula for gravity flow.

However, not having the new depth prevents me from calculating the hydraulic radius - which is a part of Manning's formula so it would end up looking like this:

17,04= 1/0,014*(3*y)*?^(2/3)*(1/150)^(1/2). (? being the place where the number for hydraulic radius would go).
So I'm kind of stuck at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like you are missing the wetted perimeter for the channel. The problem doesn't state it explicitly, but assume the channel cross section is still rectangular downstream. Can you figure out the formula for the perimeter given a width of 3.0 m and a depth of y?

We just touched on the subject before end of class today, so I'm not sure if this is correct, but using the formula for hydraulic radius R=A/P - where P is the wetted perimeter:

R= A/P can be re-written as (w*y)/(y+y+w)= (w*y)/(2y+w) giving P=2y+3.

Looking at it I'm not sure if this will work since there is a slope in the channel...

But the slope is in the direction of water flow, isn't it? The area and wetted perimeter of the channel are properties of the cross section of the channel, which is normal to the direction of flow.

I would suggest using the Manning's formula for gravity flow to solve for the hydraulic radius. The formula can be rearranged to solve for the depth, y, as follows:

y = (Q * n * b * (1/150)^(1/2))^(3/8) / (2 * 1.5 * (1/150)^(1/2))

Substituting the values given in the question, we get:

y = (17.04 * 0.014 * 3 * (1/150)^(1/2))^(3/8) / (2 * 1.5 * (1/150)^(1/2))

y = 0.896 meters

Therefore, the depth of the channel at the new slope and width is 0.896 meters.

Related to How Does Channel Slope Affect Water Depth?

1. How is the depth of a channel determined?

The depth of a channel is typically determined by conducting a bathymetric survey. This involves using specialized equipment, such as sonar or LiDAR, to measure the depth of the water at various points along the channel.

2. What factors affect the depth of a channel?

The depth of a channel can be affected by several factors, including the topography of the surrounding land, the volume and flow rate of water, sediment accumulation, and human activities such as dredging or construction.

3. Why is it important to determine the depth of a channel?

Knowing the depth of a channel is important for several reasons. It can help with navigation and avoid potential hazards, such as shallow areas or submerged structures. It also provides crucial information for engineering projects, such as building bridges or pipelines.

4. What methods are used to measure the depth of a channel?

As mentioned earlier, bathymetric surveys are the most common method used to measure the depth of a channel. Other methods include using depth sounders, GPS technology, and physical measurements with a sounding rod or lead line.

5. Can the depth of a channel change over time?

Yes, the depth of a channel can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion and sedimentation, as well as human activities such as dredging or construction. It is important to regularly monitor and update the depth information for safe and efficient navigation.