Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the x range using curvilinear motion

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The car passes point A with a speed of 25 m/s after which its speed is defined by V = (25-0.15s)m/s. Determine the magnitude of the car's acceleration when it reaches point B, where S = 51.5 m. (the max height of the hill is 16 m, and the function of the hill the car is on is y = 16 -(1/625)x^2. A intersects the axis at the furthest point from the origin in the positive direction. S (the Car) is left of A between A and B.)

2. Relevant equations

The position and velocities given and the radius of curvature (rho) equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved this problem, that is, the magnitude of an and at. However, an is in terms of x because I can't figure out how to get an x range. I know if I had a "let x = #" I would plug it into the y = 16 -(1/625)x^2 and crunch it to get a Vy, so I'm stuck. Thanks in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Cancel...I solved it...I needed to use intsqrt1+dy/dx to find x, then just plug and chug...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook