1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the x range using curvilinear motion

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The car passes point A with a speed of 25 m/s after which its speed is defined by V = (25-0.15s)m/s. Determine the magnitude of the car's acceleration when it reaches point B, where S = 51.5 m. (the max height of the hill is 16 m, and the function of the hill the car is on is y = 16 -(1/625)x^2. A intersects the axis at the furthest point from the origin in the positive direction. S (the Car) is left of A between A and B.)

2. Relevant equations

The position and velocities given and the radius of curvature (rho) equation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've solved this problem, that is, the magnitude of an and at. However, an is in terms of x because I can't figure out how to get an x range. I know if I had a "let x = #" I would plug it into the y = 16 -(1/625)x^2 and crunch it to get a Vy, so I'm stuck. Thanks in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2012 #2
    Cancel...I solved it...I needed to use intsqrt1+dy/dx to find x, then just plug and chug...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook