1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Resistance Between A and B

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

24m8f7q.jpg

I have to find the input resistance; the resistance between A and B. I think it's Thevinin's theroem, however it is already an open circuit and there are no voltage sources and I can't combine the resistors to make an equivalent. So what do I do

Edit: Am I suppose to remove the 4 ohm resistor connecting the two parallels, and find the equivalent resistance of those two and then add back the 4 as if it were in series?....so the final answer is 16/3 ohm? or is that wrong?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Have you heard of a Y-Delta transform?

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    No I don't believe so.

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Place a voltage source across A-B and calculate the current that it would supply. The equivalent resistance will be the voltage divided by the current.

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5
    Ok, I tried it like you suggested vela. Made 3 Kirchhoff loops, put in an imaginary voltage source 10V, calculated the current to be 3.5A, so R should be 10/3.5...

7. Jan 14, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's the same answer I got.

8. Jan 14, 2010 #7
    Sweet, thanks!

9. Jan 15, 2010 #8
    I tried doing the loop thing, I don't think I did it right. Can you explain it please?

10. Jan 15, 2010 #9

ideasrule

Homework Helper

What loop thing? You won't get the answer with Kirchoff's laws alone. Instead, use Thevinin's theorem, pretending that there's a voltage V between A and B.

11. Jan 15, 2010 #10

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It would be better if you explain what you tried, so we can identify where you're having trouble. It's kind of hard to boil all of circuit analysis down to a forum post.

12. Jan 16, 2010 #11
    Never mind I think I got it. I1=7A/2, R=10V/3.5A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook