1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find tension as a vector on point A and point B

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    1174i7m.jpg
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The tension in the supporting cable AB is T = 425 N. Write this tension as a vector (a) as it acts on point A and (b) as it acts on point B. Assume θ = 30°. [***I've attached a picture of the exact problem]

The answer in my text book says TA = <221, -212, 294>
    TB = <-221, 212, -294>

2. Relevant equations
    T
    = (T)(n)

n
    = (AB) / (||AB||)

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by finding the AB which I used A = (0, 5cos(30), 5sin(30)) and B = (2, 0, 6), which gave me AB = <2, -4.33, 3.5>.

Next I used n = (AB) / (||AB||) to find n = <.338, -.732, .5916>

Then I found T = (T)(n) = <143.65, -311.1, 251.43>

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. The only thing I can think of is if I'm using incorrect points for point A

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

It looks like θ is in the x-y (azimuthal) plane, so it should not apply directly to the z-coordinate as one did for the coordinates of A, necessarily.

One needs to think in terms of two angles, poloidal and azimuthal. Note point B is offset from the polar axis.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    Thank you! I'm pretty sure fixed my problem. I absolutely hate when the text book doesn't make it obvious which plane the angle is in.

So that changed my A to A = (-2.5, 4.33, 0), which changed my tension to the correct answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted