Find term of a rational partial (reduced) fraction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
sotownsend
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the coefficient on the x^2 term in ∫[(x+9)/3] * [log(x+1)] * dx

Answer: -1/12

Homework Equations



Integration by parts

∫dv * u = u * v - ∫du * v

The Attempt at a Solution



1. I integrated by parts to get
-------------------------

∫[(x+9)/3] * [log(x+1)] * dx] = (x^2/9)*log(x+1) - ∫[(s^2 + 18s)/(6s+6)]

-------------------------

I think the term the problem wants something with the ∫[(s^2... term, but I don't know how to get the coefficient from it.

The problem suggests that ∫[(s^2 + 18s)/(6s+6)] is "now a rational function problem: divide to get a polynomial part and a reduced fraction. The reduced fraction gives a log term."

I very much appreciate any help! :approve:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sotownsend said:
I think the term the problem wants something with the ∫[(s^2... term, but I don't know how to get the coefficient from it.

Forget how to divide a polynomial into a polynomial? I'll have to say it was a topic in elementary algebra that I did paid much attention to either. [itex]6s + 6[/itex] goes into [itex]s^2 + 18s[/itex] with quotient [itex]\frac{s}{6} + \frac{17}{6}[/itex] and remainder [itex]-17[/itex].

So [tex]\frac{s^2 + 18s}{6s + 6} = \frac{s}{6} + \frac{17}{6} - \frac{17}{6s + 6}[/tex]
 
Answer:

The question wanted the integration of the final term of the derivation of the chain rule.

So...

∫[(s^2 + 18s)/(6s+6)] =

∫(s^2 / (6s + 6) + ∫(18s / (6s + 6)

The integral of these two terms yields a s^2 term with -1/12 as the coefficient. (Takes a lot of trig transforms / log transforms however)
 
[tex]-\int (\frac{s}{6} + \frac{17}{6} - \frac{17}{6s + 6}) ds<br /> <br /> = \frac{-1}{12}s^2 - \frac{17}{6}s + \frac{17}{6} \log(6x + 6)[/tex]