1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the 100th Derivative of e^(-x^2)

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the exact value for the 100th Derivative of [tex]f(x) = e^{-x^{2}}[/tex] evaluated at x = 0

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]e^{x} = \sum^{\infty}_{0} \frac{x^{n}}{n!}[/tex]

[tex]e^{-x^{2}} = \sum^{\infty}_{0} \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{2n}}{n!}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing I can think of to do is to get the 100th term of the series which is
    factor out an [tex]x^{n}[/tex] to make it look like the general term of a MacLaurin Series

and I thought that since
    [tex]C_{n} = \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!}[/tex]

I would just solve for the derivative
    [tex]C_{100} = \frac{x^{100}}{100!} = \frac{f^{(100)}(0)}{100!}[/tex]

But..I can't do anything with that.

I even attempted to use n = 50, so the coefficient would not have an X in it, but that just gives me the derivative is 1...in fact if I do it like that it says the derivative is always 1.
    I know that to be not the case because if you evaluate the 2nd derivative by hand you get -2, and the 4th is 12
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2
    you are on the right track...
    the only term which gives you something nonzero at the 100th derivative it n=50
    so you need to evaluate the 100th derivative of x^100/50!, but this is simply 100!/50!, if you want to get the exact number you would need to plug that into some CAS. You could also just use Stirling's formula to get a very good approximation.
  4. Dec 3, 2008 #3
    Thanks very much. It's a little awkward to think that the 100th term in the series is not the 100th term in the original Taylor/MacLaurin series but I suppose that's what I didn't realize.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?