Find the 3rd derivative using MacLaurin Series

In summary, to find the value of the 3rd derivative at x = 0 for the function f(x) = e^(x^2) * sin(x), you can use the Maclaurin series for e^(x^2) and sin(x) to find the coefficient of the 3rd degree term in the product function. This will give you the value of the 3rd derivative at x = 0.
hadroneater

Homework Statement

f(x) = e^(x^2) * sin(x)
Find the value of the 3rd derivative at x = 0.

Homework Equations

e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + ... + x^n/n!

sin(x) = 1 + x^3/3! - x^5/5! + ... + x^(2n+1)/(2n+1)! * (-1)^(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I should plug in the two series into f(x). But what is e^(x^2)? Would I have to basically square the power series of e^x?

So let's just make n = 3, then
f(x) = (1 + x + x^2/2! + x^3/3!)^2 * (1 + x^3/3! - x^5/5! + x^7/7!)

Then the expression becomes extremely complex for me. Even if I manage to expand the whole thing, how would I use it to find the third derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
For your Maclaurin series for e^x, just replace x by x^2 in each term on the right. That will be your Maclaurin series for e^(x^2).

Your series for sin(x) is wrong: sin(x) = x - x^3/3! + x^5/5! -+ ...

Your series for f(x) is going to be the product of your two series. You don't need all that many terms, since you just need the coefficient of the 3rd degree term.

1. What is the MacLaurin Series?

The MacLaurin Series is a special type of Taylor Series that is centered at x=0. It is used to approximate a function by using a polynomial with an infinite number of terms.

2. How is the MacLaurin Series used to find the 3rd derivative?

The 3rd derivative can be found by taking the 3rd term of the MacLaurin Series and differentiating it three times. This will give the 3rd derivative of the original function.

3. Are there any limitations to using the MacLaurin Series to find derivatives?

Yes, the MacLaurin Series can only be used to find derivatives for functions that are infinitely differentiable at x=0. If the function is not infinitely differentiable, the series will not converge.

4. Can the MacLaurin Series be used to find higher order derivatives?

Yes, the MacLaurin Series can be used to find any order of derivative. However, the higher the order, the more terms will be needed in the series for an accurate approximation.

5. How does the accuracy of the MacLaurin Series change with more terms?

The more terms in the MacLaurin Series, the more accurate the approximation of the function will be. However, as the number of terms increases, the complexity of calculations also increases.