1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the acceleration in terms of velocity and displacement

1. Nov 9, 2009 #1
    Assume a raindrop falls from the clouds and the mass increases as it falls and the increase in mass is 3kg/m. Neglecting any frictional force, find the acceleration in terms of velocity and displacement. Initially when t=0 assume mass is negligible.

I just want to ask if we were to neglect drag or air resist, shouldn't the acceleration be g?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2009 #2
    Re: Raindrops

It increases in mass by colliding with water (in some form) that isn't moving. That will slow it down. Is the increase 3kg/m?:confused: That doesn't make sense at all. You'd think it would depend on the size of the raindrop, and that the effect would be 10^4 to10^5 times smaller.

4. Nov 9, 2009 #3
    Re: Raindrops

Yes, I would think so. Could this be a trick question to test your understanding? if so, I think you understand it :)

If we really wanted to go overboard we could calculate the value of g for different altitudes, but it should be relatively negligible.

Just a quick reality check, is the increase in mass of 3kg/m reasonable? If it fell 100m, it would gain 300kg, that's a pretty heavy raindrop.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook