Find the area inside r=3+2sin(theta) and r=2

• Thread starter penetrated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area inside r=3+2sinθ and outside r=2, and the difficulty of determining the range of integration. The conversation also addresses the issue of using the intersections found by plugging r=2 into r=3+2sinθ, and suggests finding a different way to represent one of the angles in order to use the given range of integration. There is also a mention of the OP's username being reported as inappropriate and offensive.
penetrated

Homework Statement

find the area inside r=3+2sin(theta) and r=2

Homework Equations

c above

The Attempt at a Solution

I knew how to do inside the polar curve and outside the circle, well, i guess everyone know how to solve what i knew. but not both inside to me.
also, I am kind of stuck at the range of integral...
∏=7∏/6 and 11∏/6

Physics news on Phys.org
Start out by finding when [itex]2 > 3+2 \sin(\theta) [/itex] and use that to write the integration limits. You should be finding something like

[tex] A = \int_{C_1} d\theta \int_2^{3+2 \sin(\theta)} dr + \int_{C_2} d\theta \int^2_{3+2 \sin(\theta)} dr [/tex]

Okay, so you want the area inside [itex]r=3+2sinθ[/itex] and outside [itex]r=2[/itex]. You found the intersections by plugging [itex]r=2[/itex] into [itex]r=3+2sinθ[/itex]:

[itex]2=3+2sinθ\rightarrow sinθ=-\frac{1}{2}\rightarrowθ=\frac{7π}{6},\frac{11π}{6}[/itex]

But on the interval [itex](\frac{7π}{6},\frac{11π}{6})[/itex], [itex]r=3+2sinθ[/itex] is less than [itex]r=2[/itex]. For instance, [itex]3+2sin(\frac{3π}{2})=1[/itex], which is less than 2.

So you can't use [itex]\frac{7π}{6}[/itex] as your smaller angle and [itex]\frac{11π}{6}[/itex] as your larger angle. Can you think of another way to represent one of these angles so that [itex]\frac{7π}{6}[/itex] is the larger angle?

Personally, i found the OP's username inappropriate and offensive. Reported.

1. What is the equation for finding the area inside r=3+2sin(theta) and r=2?

The equation for finding the area inside these two polar curves is: A = 1/2 * ∫αβ (r22 - r12) dθ, where r1 = 2 and r2 = 3+2sin(θ), and α and β are the values of θ where the curves intersect.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the area inside these two curves?

The limits of integration, α and β, can be found by setting the two curves equal to each other and solving for θ. In this case, 3+2sin(θ) = 2, so θ = π/6 and 5π/6. These values represent the points of intersection between the two curves, and they will be used as the limits of integration.

3. Can you use the polar area formula to find the area inside any two polar curves?

Yes, the polar area formula A = 1/2 * ∫αβ (r22 - r12) dθ can be used to find the area inside any two polar curves. However, the curves must intersect at two points in order for the formula to be applicable.

4. How do you convert polar equations to rectangular equations?

To convert a polar equation to a rectangular equation, you can use the following conversions: x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ). In this case, the equations r=3+2sin(θ) and r=2 would become x = (3+2sin(θ))cos(θ) and y = (3+2sin(θ))sin(θ), respectively.

5. Is there a way to visualize the area inside polar curves?

Yes, you can graph the polar curves and use the region enclosed by the curves and the x-axis to visualize the area. You can also use a calculator or software to graph the curves and calculate the area numerically.