Find the areas bounded by 4 equations

In summary, the problem is finding the intersection point of y=cos x and y=sin 2x. Using the double angle formula, sin 2x = 2sinx cosx, we can solve for the intersection points, which are at 1/2 pi and any point 2pi away from it. However, to find the other intersection point, further analysis is needed.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I won't post the entire problem since I'm only stuck on one part of it. I need to find where y=cos x and y=sin 2x intersect.

Homework Equations

sin(x)=cos(x +- pi/2)

6_1_21.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

cos x = sin 2x

since sin(x)=cos(x +- pi/2), sin 2x = sin(x+pi/2), therefore, 2x=x+pi/2. This gives me 1/2 pi, which is 1 of the intersection points. And of course, any point 2pi away from this is another intersection point. But how do I find the other intersection point? The one that the graph shows to be at about 0.53.

Physics news on Phys.org
sin2x =2sinxcosx (Double angle formula)

1. What are the 4 equations used to find the area bounded?

The 4 equations used to find the area bounded are typically functions that represent the boundaries of the area. These equations can be linear, quadratic, or any other type of function that defines a specific shape or boundary.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for finding the area?

The limits of integration for finding the area are determined by the points of intersection between the 4 equations. These points of intersection act as the boundaries for the area and can be found by solving the equations simultaneously.

3. What is the basic formula for finding the area bounded by 4 equations?

The basic formula for finding the area bounded by 4 equations is to set up a double integral, with the first integral representing the horizontal boundaries and the second integral representing the vertical boundaries. The integrand will be the sum of the 4 equations.

4. Can the area bounded by 4 equations be found using a single integral?

In most cases, the area bounded by 4 equations cannot be found using a single integral. This is because the boundaries are typically not simple shapes and require a double integral to accurately calculate the area.

5. How can technology be used to assist in finding the area bounded by 4 equations?

Technology, such as graphing calculators or computer software, can be used to graph the 4 equations and find the points of intersection more accurately. These tools can also be used to set up and solve the double integral, making the calculation process more efficient and less prone to error.