Find the center of gravity of a combined cone and cylinder

In summary, the conversation involves finding the distance of the centre of gravity of a solid from the centre of the base of a cone. The solution involves using a purely geometrical approach and the relationship between the sides of similar triangles to find the desired distance. The final answer is derived in a few simple steps.
gnits
Homework Statement
Find center of gravity of combined cone and cylinder
Relevant Equations
Moments
Could I please ask for help with the following:

Given: The centre of gravity of a uniform solid right circular cone of vertical height h and base radius a is at a distance 3h/4 from the vertex of the cone.

Such a cone is joined to a uniform solid right circular cylinder of the same material and of height h and base radius a, so that the plane base of the cone coincides with a plane face of the cylinder. Find the distance of the centre of gravity of the solid from the centre of the base of the cone.

I've done this, the answer is 5h/16

When the cone hangs in equilibrium from a point A on the circumference of the base of the cone, the line joining A to the vertex of the cone is horizontal, Prove that 4a = sqrt(5)*h

This is the part I need help with. Here's a diagram:

hanging.png

So I reasoned that the moment about A should be zero.

I let the half-angle of the cone be t.

Then I get:

x1 = 9hcos(t)/16
x2 = 3hcos(t)/16

Taking moments about A I get:

πa^2hw * 3hcos(t)/16 = (1/3)πa^2hw * 9hcos(t)/16

Which is gives 1 = 1.

Thanks for any help,
Mitch.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It all cancels because your equation merely confirms that the common mass centre is where you calculated it to be.
You have not actually used that the top edge of the cone is horizontal.

haruspex said:
You have not actually used that the top edge of the cone is horizontal.
I also wonder how we can actually use this fact and translate it into an equation. If it is not used when we take the moments equation then in what equation it can be used?
Is this some sort of purely geometrical solution, where the only thing we take from physics is that some lines will be horizontal or vertical and some angles will be 90 degrees?

Likes Steve4Physics
Delta2 said:
I also wonder how we can actually use this fact and translate it into an equation. If it is not used when we take the moments equation then in what equation it can be used?
Is this some sort of purely geometrical solution, where the only thing we take from physics is that some lines will be horizontal or vertical and some angles will be 90 degrees?
Yes, it's a purely geometrical exercise. The overall centre of gravity must lie vertically below A.

Therefore there must be a relationship between a and h which makes the line joining A to the vertex of the cone exactly horizontal (as opposed to some arbitrary angle).

Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
I see now that indeed all of the equations I had derived are true regardless of the orientation of the object and so always true, hence 1 = 1,

So somehow I need to use the extra condition\constraint that VA is horizontal (where V is the vertex of the cone). Well, that tells me that the angle VAM = 90 (Where M = centre of mass of the object).

Still looking …

Likes Delta2
Could I please ask for a pointer in the right direction?

Here's a less cluttered diagram:

simpler.png

So it's a purely geometrical argument we need. Which relationship between a and h will yield VA horizontal.

In going from A to G that's a distance of (using Pythagoras) of sqrt( a^2 + (5h/16)^2 ).

So we could equate this to the vertical distance traveled in moving from G to V, which is (21h/16)*sin(t) (because horizontal VA means that angle VAG = 90)

So we need to replace sin(t) with something in terms of a and h. Well we know that tan(t)=5h/16a. Can use 1 + cot^2 = cosec^2 to get expression for sin(t) in terms of a and h.

Am I missing a simpler way?

Thanks,
Mitch.

gnits said:
Am I missing a simpler way?
This is may be too much help, but since it just looks like you've hit a simple blind spot...

Let P be the centre of the cone's base. Triangles AVP and AGP are similar. (They don't look it on your diagram, but that's because your diagram is not accurately to scale.)

What do you know about the ratios of sides in similar triangles? (Alternatively write down an expression for tan(t) in each triangle.) The required answer then comes out in a few (simple) lines.

Edit: minor wording change

Last edited:
Likes BvU and Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
This is may be too much help, but since it just looks like you've hit a simple blind spot...

Let P be the centre of the cone's base. Triangles AVP and AGP are similar. (They don't look it on your diagram, but that's because your diagram is not accurately to scale.)

What do you know about the ratios of sides in similar triangles? (Alternatively write down an expression for tan(t) in each triangle.) The required answer then comes out in a few (simple) lines.

Edit: minor wording change

Thank you very much, "blind spot" is the right term for it. I just didn't see it. Tried all sorts. Thank you again.

Likes BvU

1. How do you find the center of gravity of a combined cone and cylinder?

The center of gravity of a combined cone and cylinder can be found by first finding the individual centers of gravity for each shape. For the cone, the center of gravity is located one-third of the way from the base to the apex. For the cylinder, the center of gravity is located at the midpoint of the height. Then, the combined center of gravity can be found by taking the weighted average of the individual centers of gravity, with the weights being the volumes of each shape.

2. Why is it important to find the center of gravity of a combined cone and cylinder?

The center of gravity is an important concept in physics and engineering because it represents the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed. For a combined cone and cylinder, finding the center of gravity is essential for determining the stability and balance of the object.

3. What factors affect the location of the center of gravity in a combined cone and cylinder?

The location of the center of gravity in a combined cone and cylinder is affected by the dimensions and mass of each shape. Specifically, the height, radius, and mass of the cone and cylinder will influence the position of the center of gravity.

4. Can the center of gravity of a combined cone and cylinder be outside of the object?

No, the center of gravity will always be located within the physical boundaries of the object. This is because the center of gravity is determined by the distribution of weight within the object, and all of the weight is contained within the object itself.

5. How can the center of gravity of a combined cone and cylinder be used in real-life applications?

The concept of center of gravity is used in various real-life applications, such as designing stable structures, determining the balance of vehicles, and even in sports like gymnastics and diving. For a combined cone and cylinder, knowing the location of the center of gravity can help in designing stable and balanced objects, such as a water tower or a rocket.