Find the center of mass of an arc

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the center of mass of an arc in the shape of the letter "B". One person attempted to find the center of mass by treating the arc as a semicircle, but their answer was only an approximation. Another person solved the problem using a different method, but the picture they provided was blurry. The discrepancy between the two answers was attributed to the first solution not taking into account the mass of the upright line in the letter "B".
Istiak
Homework Statement
Find center of mass of a arc (letter B)
Relevant Equations
x_com = \frac{m_1 x_1 + m_2 x_2}{m_1+m_2}
1625387927009.png

In my mind, I had cut half of B and, thought it's semi-circle. Then, I was trying to find Center of Mass by taking it as semi-circle. But, I get an answer which is approximately, close to main answer. Someone else had solved it another way

1625388180302.png
This way I can get the accurate answer. But, the picture is very blurry that's why I can't understand it. Why both answers aren't same? Is there any other way to calculate Center of Mass?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Istiakshovon said:
Homework Statement:: Find center of mass of a arc (letter B)
Relevant Equations:: x_com = \frac{m_1 x_1 + m_2 x_2}{m_1+m_2}

View attachment 285438

In my mind, I had cut half of B and, thought it's semi-circle. Then, I was trying to find Center of Mass by taking it as semi-circle. But, I get an answer which is approximately, close to main answer. Someone else had solved it another way

View attachment 285439This way I can get the accurate answer. But, the picture is very blurry that's why I can't understand it. Why both answers aren't same? Is there any other way to calculate Center of Mass?
Your solution seems to have ignored the mass of the upright line in "B".

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
Your solution seems to have ignored the mass of the upright line in "B".
Which solution? I had attached two pictures. One is done by me (my friend) and, another had done by another person in Internet..

Yes your solution (first picture in the OP) doesn't take into account the "base line" of "B", that is the segment that consists of the diameters of the two semicircles and has total length 4r.

Likes Istiak

1. What is the center of mass of an arc?

The center of mass of an arc is the point at which the entire mass of the arc can be considered to be concentrated, and the arc will remain in equilibrium when suspended from that point.

2. How is the center of mass of an arc calculated?

The center of mass of an arc can be calculated using the formula: x = (2r sinθ)/3θ, where x is the distance from the center of the arc to the center of mass, r is the radius of the arc, and θ is the central angle of the arc.

3. Can the center of mass of an arc be outside of the arc itself?

Yes, the center of mass of an arc can be outside of the arc itself. This can occur if the arc is not evenly distributed or if there are multiple arcs with different masses.

4. How does the shape of an arc affect its center of mass?

The shape of an arc can affect its center of mass by changing the distribution of mass along the arc. A more curved arc will have a lower center of mass, while a flatter arc will have a higher center of mass.

5. Why is finding the center of mass of an arc important?

Finding the center of mass of an arc is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and architecture. It helps determine the stability and balance of the arc, which is crucial in designing structures or predicting the motion of objects.