1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the coefficient of static friction

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 25kg chair initially at rest on a horizontal floor requires a 165N horizontal force to set it in motion. Once the chair is in motion, a 127N horizontal force keeps it moving at a constant velocity.
    a.) Find the coefficient of static friction between the chair and the floor.
    b.) Fing the coefficient of kinetic friction between the chair and the floor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not really sure what equation to use the solve the problem. I know that it is probably something really easy as sticking the numbers into a formula, but I don't know the formula, and we don't use a book, so I can't look it up.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2
    F=mg
    f=mgu
    165N is the static friction force
    127N is the kinetic friction force
    simply put in the number f(s)=F*u

4. Apr 13, 2008 #3
    so would I take 165 and multiply it by the weight of the chair (25 kg) to find static friction and multiply 127 by 25 to find kinetic friction?

5. Apr 13, 2008 #4
    F=mg=25x9.8
    for question 1.) f=Fu ---> 165=25x9.8xu find u , u is the coefficient of static friction between the chair and the floor.

try to do 2 by yourself

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?