Find the coefficient of static friction

In summary, a 25kg chair initially at rest on a horizontal floor requires a 165N horizontal force to set it in motion and a 127N horizontal force to keep it moving at constant velocity. To find the coefficient of static friction, use the formula f(s)=F*uso, where F is the applied force and u is the coefficient of static friction. Similarly, to find the coefficient of kinetic friction, use the formula f(u)=F*uko, where F is the applied force and u is the coefficient of kinetic friction.
sprinter08

Homework Statement

A 25kg chair initially at rest on a horizontal floor requires a 165N horizontal force to set it in motion. Once the chair is in motion, a 127N horizontal force keeps it moving at a constant velocity.
a.) Find the coefficient of static friction between the chair and the floor.
b.) Fing the coefficient of kinetic friction between the chair and the floor.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I'm not really sure what equation to use the solve the problem. I know that it is probably something really easy as sticking the numbers into a formula, but I don't know the formula, and we don't use a book, so I can't look it up.

Physics news on Phys.org
F=mg
f=mgu
165N is the static friction force
127N is the kinetic friction force
simply put in the number f(s)=F*u

so would I take 165 and multiply it by the weight of the chair (25 kg) to find static friction and multiply 127 by 25 to find kinetic friction?

F=mg=25x9.8
for question 1.) f=Fu ---> 165=25x9.8xu find u , u is the coefficient of static friction between the chair and the floor.

try to do 2 by yourself

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of friction that occurs when two surfaces are in contact but not moving relative to each other. It is the force that prevents an object from sliding or moving when a force is applied to it.

2. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the maximum static friction force between two surfaces to the normal force pressing the surfaces together.

3. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction is calculated by dividing the maximum static friction force by the normal force between two surfaces. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the angle at which an object begins to slide when placed on a ramp.

4. What factors affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction can be affected by the materials of the two surfaces, the roughness of the surfaces, and the normal force pressing the surfaces together. It also varies with temperature and can be affected by the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

5. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it determines how much force is needed to overcome the static friction and set an object in motion. It is essential in understanding the stability of objects on inclined surfaces and in designing structures and machines that rely on friction for their function.