Find the derivative of the function.

In summary: So, have you tried anything yet?In summary, the given function h(t) can be differentiated using the chain rule and product rule. After applying the chain rule to each factor, the product rule can be used to find the derivative. It is important to show your work when seeking homework help.
klmdad
Can you work this out step by step so I can see how to do it. Thank you
h(t) = (t^4 - 1)^3(t^3+1)^4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
klmdad said:

It's a bit ambiguous. Do you mean:

[tex](t^4-1)^3 (t^3+1)^4[/tex]

I think so. In that case, need to use the Chain Rule. If it confussing to you, try a simpler problem first (I do that too). For example, try this one:

[tex](t^2-1)t^3[/tex]

Wouldn't that just be:

[tex](t^2-1)3t^2+t^3(2t)[/tex]

klmdad said:

Well you're going to use the product rule, so first use the chain rule to get the derivative of each factor:

[tex] \left[ (t^4 - 1)^3 \right]^{\prime} = 3(t^4 - 1)^2 4t^3 = 12t^3(t^4-1)^2[/tex]

[tex]\left[ (t^3 + 1)^4 \right]^{\prime} = 4(t^3 + 1) 3t^2 = 12t^2(t^3 + 1)^3 [/tex]

Then apply the product rule:

[tex]12t^3(t^4-1)^2 (t^3 + 1)^4 + 12t^2(t^3 + 1)^3 (t^4 - 1)^3 [/tex]

klmdad said:
Can you work this out step by step so I can see how to do it.

We don't do that here. At Physics Forums you have to show your work to receive homework help.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also known as the slope of a tangent line at that point.

Why is finding the derivative important?

Finding the derivative is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a function at a specific point. It is also essential in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and optimization problems.

What is the process for finding the derivative of a function?

The process for finding the derivative of a function involves using the rules of differentiation, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of algebra and trigonometry to simplify the function before taking the derivative.

Can every function have a derivative?

No, not every function has a derivative. Functions that are not continuous or have sharp turns, corners, or vertical asymptotes do not have a derivative. Additionally, some functions may have a derivative at some points but not at others.

What are some real-world applications of finding derivatives?

There are many real-world applications of finding derivatives, including calculating velocity and acceleration in physics, maximizing profits in economics, and predicting changes in stock prices in finance. It is also used in engineering to optimize designs and in biology to model population growth and decay.