- Find the determinant of a 5 X 5 matrix -

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 64K views
VinnyCee
Messages
486
Reaction score
0
--- Find the determinant of a 5 X 5 matrix ---

Homework Statement



Find the determinant of the matrix.

A = [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc}<br /> 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 \\<br /> 3 & 0 & 4 & 5 & 6 \\<br /> 2 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\<br /> 0 & 0 & 0 & 6 & 5 \\<br /> 0 & 0 & 0 & 5 & 6<br /> \end{array}\right][/tex]



Homework Equations



Laplace Expansion formula

For an Expansion across the [tex]i^{th}[/tex] row of an n x n matrix:

det(A) = [tex]\sum_{j=1}^{n}\,(-1)^{i\,+\,j}\,a_{i\,j}\,det\left(A_{i\,j}\right)[/tex]
(for a fixed i)

For an Expansion across the [tex]j^{th}[/tex] column of an n x n matrix:

det(A) = [tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\,(-1)^{i\,+\,j}\,a_{i\,j}\,det\left(A_{i\,j}\right)[/tex]
(for a fixed j)



The Attempt at a Solution



So, I start by doing a Laplace Expansion across the first row and down the second column. So i = 1 and j = 2.

det(A) = [tex](-1)^{1\,+\,2}\,a_{1\,2}\,det\left(A_{1\,2}\right)[/tex]

det(A) = [tex](-1)\,(2)\,det\left(\left[\begin{array}{cccc}<br /> 3 & 4 & 5 & 6 \\<br /> 2 & 2 & 3 & 4 \\<br /> 0 & 0 & 6 & 5 \\<br /> 0 & 0 & 5 & 6<br /> \end{array}\right]\right)[/tex]

I continue by doing another Laplace Expansion, this time across the first row and down the first column. So i = 1 and j = 1.

det(A) = [tex](-2)\,(-1)^{1\,+\,1}\,a_{1\,1}\,det\left(\left[\begin{array}{ccc}<br /> 2 & 3 & 4 \\<br /> 0 & 6 & 5 \\<br /> 0 & 5 & 6 <br /> \end{array}\right]\right)[/tex]

det(A) = [tex](-2)\,(1)\,(3)\,det\left(\left[\begin{array}{ccc}<br /> 2 & 3 & 4 \\<br /> 0 & 6 & 5 \\<br /> 0 & 5 & 6 <br /> \end{array}\right]\right)[/tex]

For the 3 x 3 matrix, I use Sarrus's Rule to get a determinant of 22.

det(A) = [tex](-6)\,(22)\,=-132[/tex]

However, when I plug the original matrix into my TI-92, I get det(A) = 99!

I tried a second time with i = 1 and j = 1 for the original matrix and then i = 1 and j = 2 for the 4 x 4 matrix. Here I get det(A) = -44.

Neither are right! What am I doing wrong here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't summed. Fix a row and you need to do the Laplace thing for every entry in that row, not just one that takes your fancy, and take the signed sum. In short, you've not used the formula properly.

It is easier to use row operations, anyway.
 
I found my error, it was exactly as you said. I was not doing the sum for the second non-zero term in the column!

The right equation is:

det(A) = [tex](-1)^{1\,+\,2}\,a_{1\,2}\,det\left(A_{1\,2}\right)\,+\,(-1)^{3\,+\,2}\,a_{3\,2}\,det\left(A_{3\,2}\right)[/tex]
 
Last edited: