1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the domain of the function

1. Feb 24, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find domain of f(x, y) = ln ((x2+2x+y2) / (x2−2x+y2))

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because the function is a natural ln, the restriction on the function is that everything inside the brackets has to >0, otherwise the function is undefined.

I worked on the problem for a while but wasn't getting anywhere so i plugged the equation into wolfram and got the domain { (x,y) ∈ R2 | 4x2 < (x2 + y2)2}

I'm not sure how to get there though...

[(x2+2x+y2) / (x2−2x+y2)] > 0

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Because of the natural log, ##\frac{x^2 + 2x + y^2}{x^2 - 2x + y^2}## has to be positive, but you're forgetting that there is a restriction on the denominator.

4. Feb 24, 2016 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First, note that for a fixed ##y## you have two quadratics in ##x##. Perhaps start by analysing those quadratics.

5. Feb 24, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, if ##(x^2+2x+y^2)/(x^2-2x+y^2)>0##, then the numerator and denominator must both be > 0 or both be < 0. It might help to look at those two cases separately.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted