Find the expansion of this term

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the equation (n+1)a_{n+1} + (n-1)a_{n-1}=ma_n and obtain the expansion of e^{m \arctan x}. The solution involves finding the Maclaurin series expansion of e^m\arctan x and substituting y with arctan(x) to simplify the expansion in terms of x. The process requires differentiating and obtaining the series coefficients.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

IF [itex]e^{m \arctan x}=a_0 + a_1x + a_2x^2 + a_3x^3...+a_nx^n+...[/itex]
prove that [itex](n+1)a_{n+1} + (n-1)a_{n-1}=ma_n [/itex]
and hence obtain the expansion of [itex]e^{m \arctan x} [/itex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$e^{m \arctan x} = 1+m \arctan x + (m \arctan x)^2/2! + (m \arctan x)^3/3! + ...$$
But I need to simplify this expansion in terms of x and I'm clueless how to do that.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the terms of that series?

Simon Bridge said:
How did you get the terms of that series?
The Maclaurin series expansion of emy is
$$1 + my + \frac{(my)^2}{2!} + \dots + \frac{(my)^n}{n!} + \dots$$

Replace y with arctan(x) to get the expansion that utkarshakash shows.

I've been looking at this problem, but no joy as yet.

You cannot just substitute any arbitrary function for y ... consider: what if y=ln|x|/m ?
You have to work out the series coefficients by actually doing the differentiation. It's not as hard as it's, at first, seeming.

Simon Bridge said:
You cannot just substitute any arbitrary function for y ... consider: what if y=ln|x|/m ?
You have to work out the series coefficients by actually doing the differentiation. It's not as hard as it's, at first, seeming.

Got it! Thanks a lot!

No worries - if a shortcut does not get you where you need to be, try going the long way round ;)

1. What is the purpose of finding the expansion of a term?

The purpose of finding the expansion of a term is to express a complex mathematical expression in a simplified form. This can help in solving equations, identifying patterns, and making calculations easier.

2. How do you find the expansion of a term?

To find the expansion of a term, you can use various methods such as the binomial theorem, Taylor series, or polynomial long division. The method used will depend on the type of term and the level of complexity.

3. What is the difference between a power series and an expansion of a term?

A power series is an infinite sum of terms with increasing powers of a variable, while an expansion of a term is a simplified form of a mathematical expression. An expansion of a term may or may not be a power series, depending on the specific expression being expanded.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the expansion of a term?

Sure, let's say we want to find the expansion of (x+1)^3. Using the binomial theorem, we can expand this term to be x^3 + 3x^2 + 3x + 1. This is a simplified form of the original expression and can be used in various calculations.

5. What are some applications of finding the expansion of a term in science?

Finding the expansion of a term has many applications in science, including in physics, engineering, and statistics. It can be used to solve equations, model complex systems, and make predictions. It is also commonly used in calculus to find derivatives and integrals of functions.