Find the expectation value of momentum squared for a simple harmonic oscillator

In summary: The expectation value of (px)2 is computed by taking the partial twice of ψ(x), and plugging in the value they give for ∫x2|ψ|2: -4hbar3a2 / 2mω0
goolsby
Find the expectation value of (px)2, keeping in mind that ψ0(x) = A0e−ax2
where A0 = (2mω0/h)^1/4, and
<x2> = ∫x2|ψ|2dx = h_bar / 2mω0

<ψ(x)|px2|ψ(x)> = ∫ψ(x)(pop2)ψ(x) dx

pop = [hbar / i] ([itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex]x)

I'm not going to attempt to type out me solving the integral because it would be extremely messy, as I am unfamiliar with syntax on this site.
I take the partial twice of ψ(x), and plug in the value they give for ∫x2|ψ|2:

-4hbar3a2 / 2mω0

This isn't correct, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong. The negative doesn't make sense to me, but that's what the math is giving (the negative comes from squaring i in the momentum operator).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The syntax on this site is LaTex which is quite easy to use. Related to your problem, can you use the Virial Theorem ? Or you could go for an algebraic approach, because the average is computed in the ground state...

goolsby said:
Find the expectation value of (px)2, keeping in mind that ψ0(x) = A0e−ax2
where A0 = (2mω0/h)^1/4, and
<x2> = ∫x2|ψ|2dx = h_bar / 2mω0

<ψ(x)|px2|ψ(x)> = ∫ψ(x)(pop2)ψ(x) dx

pop = [hbar / i] ([itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex]x)

I'm not going to attempt to type out me solving the integral because it would be extremely messy, as I am unfamiliar with syntax on this site.
I take the partial twice of ψ(x), and plug in the value they give for ∫x2|ψ|2:

-4hbar3a2 / 2mω0

This isn't correct, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong. The negative doesn't make sense to me, but that's what the math is giving (the negative comes from squaring i in the momentum operator).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Can you explain to yourself why you are taking the partial twice? Are you missing any factors for the momentum operator?

The momentum operator squared is
-hbar2 δ2/δx2

goolsby said:
-4hbar3a2 / 2mω0

Except for the minus sign, this looks correct. Don't forget to substitute the expression for [itex]a[/itex].

Uh oh, I didn't substitute for a. Is this a common constant? They give what A0 is, but it goes away with the identity for <x2>.

Why compute tough integrals and derivatives, why not just convert p^2 into creation and annihilation operators?

What is the definition of expectation value?

The expectation value, also known as the average value, is the weighted average of all possible values of a certain quantity in a given system or distribution. It is calculated by multiplying each value by its probability and summing them up.

What is a simple harmonic oscillator?

A simple harmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits a periodic motion in which the force acting on the system is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position. Examples of simple harmonic oscillators include a mass on a spring, a pendulum, and an LC circuit.

How is the expectation value of momentum squared calculated for a simple harmonic oscillator?

The expectation value of momentum squared for a simple harmonic oscillator is calculated by integrating the square of the momentum operator over all possible states of the system, weighted by their corresponding probability amplitudes. This can be written as <p2> = ∫Ψ* p2 Ψ dx, where <p2> represents the expectation value, Ψ is the wave function, and p is the momentum operator.

How does the expectation value of momentum squared relate to the uncertainty principle?

The expectation value of momentum squared is related to the uncertainty principle through the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainties in position and momentum of a particle cannot be smaller than the reduced Planck's constant. This means that a more precise measurement of momentum will result in a larger uncertainty in position, and vice versa.

What is the significance of calculating the expectation value of momentum squared for a simple harmonic oscillator?

Calculating the expectation value of momentum squared for a simple harmonic oscillator allows us to understand the average momentum of the system and how it relates to the oscillation of the system. It also helps in determining the uncertainty in momentum and the accuracy of the measurements. This calculation is crucial in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.