1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the expectation value of momentum squared for a simple harmonic oscillator

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Find the expectation value of (px)2, keeping in mind that ψ0(x) = A0e−ax2
    where A0 = (2mω0/h)^1/4, and
    <x2> = ∫x2|ψ|2dx = h_bar / 2mω0

<ψ(x)|px2|ψ(x)> = ∫ψ(x)(pop2)ψ(x) dx

pop = [hbar / i] ([itex]\delta[/itex]/[itex]\delta[/itex]x)

I'm not going to attempt to type out me solving the integral because it would be extremely messy, as I am unfamiliar with syntax on this site.
    I take the partial twice of ψ(x), and plug in the value they give for ∫x2|ψ|2:

-4hbar3a2 / 2mω0

This isn't correct, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong. The negative doesn't make sense to me, but that's what the math is giving (the negative comes from squaring i in the momentum operator).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The syntax on this site is LaTex which is quite easy to use. Related to your problem, can you use the Virial Theorem ? Or you could go for an algebraic approach, because the average is computed in the ground state...

4. Oct 28, 2011 #3
    Can you explain to yourself why you are taking the partial twice? Are you missing any factors for the momentum operator?

5. Oct 28, 2011 #4
    The momentum operator squared is
    -hbar2 δ2/δx2

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except for the minus sign, this looks correct. Don't forget to substitute the expression for [itex]a[/itex].

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6
    Uh oh, I didn't substitute for a. Is this a common constant? They give what A0 is, but it goes away with the identity for <x2>.

8. Oct 28, 2011 #7

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why compute tough integrals and derivatives, why not just convert p^2 into creation and annihilation operators?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook