Find the extrema of f subject to the stated constraint

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 8K views
number0
Messages
102
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the extrema of f subject to the stated constraint:

f(x,y) = x-y subject to x2-y2=2

Homework Equations



Apply the Lagrange Multiplier!

The Attempt at a Solution



This question was rather odd... I just did a problem similar to this one, and I got the answer right.

Let g(x,y) = x2-y2-2

Now let L(x,y) = f-[tex]\lambda[/tex]g (where [tex]\lambda[/tex] = the Lagrange Multiplier)

Lx = 1 - 2[tex]\lambda[/tex]x = 0

Ly = -1 + 2[tex]\lambda[/tex]y = 0

I then solve for x and y.

I get x = [tex]\frac{1}{2\lambda}[/tex] = y

I plugged both of them into the constraint g(x,y) = x2-y2-2 = 0

Both x and y cancels out! and so

-2 = 0

I am sure I am doing something wrong because there is an answer! I've checked using an online calculator.

Can anyone please show me what I am doing wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you parametrize x and y using hyperbolic substitution:

[tex] \begin{array}{rcl}<br /> x & = & \sqrt{2} \; \epsilon \cosh{t}, \; \epsilon = \pm 1 \\<br /> <br /> y & = & \sqrt{2} \sinh{t}, \; -\infty < t < \infty \\<br /> \end{array}[/tex]

and substitute this into the function [itex]f(x, y)[/itex], you will get a function of a single variable [itex]\tilde{f}(t)[/itex]. Can you find its analytic expression? Does this function have extrema?
 
you made an error in the last line. The first and second term cancel.
 
Dickfore said:
you made an error in the last line. The first and second term cancel.

Yes you right I made a mistake, the substitution is the way to go
 
Sorry guys, but I still do not know what to do if the x's and y's cancels out...
 
x^2-y^2=2 is the same as (x+y)(x-y)=2 is the same as (x-y)=2/(x+y). Have you considered the possibility it may not have any extrema?
 
Dick said:
x^2-y^2=2 is the same as (x+y)(x-y)=2 is the same as (x-y)=2/(x+y). Have you considered the possibility it may not have any extrema?

Yes... but, I said I used the online calculator and it said the values for the extrema.

Here is the link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=maximize+x-y+on+x^2-y^2-2%3D0


Note*** I may be misreading the values on the online calculator
 
Don't trust wolfram alpha for everything, I don't even know what it's trying to say. I think it's simply confused. You've correctly concluded a local extremum exists if 0=(-2). It doesn't. There aren't any local extrema.