Find the extrema of f subject to the stated constraint

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework equation that was very similar to one they had already solved. However, they made a mistake that led to an incorrect answer.
number0

Homework Statement

Find the extrema of f subject to the stated constraint:

f(x,y) = x-y subject to x2-y2=2

Homework Equations

Apply the Lagrange Multiplier!

The Attempt at a Solution

This question was rather odd... I just did a problem similar to this one, and I got the answer right.

Let g(x,y) = x2-y2-2

Now let L(x,y) = f-[tex]\lambda[/tex]g (where [tex]\lambda[/tex] = the Lagrange Multiplier)

Lx = 1 - 2[tex]\lambda[/tex]x = 0

Ly = -1 + 2[tex]\lambda[/tex]y = 0

I then solve for x and y.

I get x = [tex]\frac{1}{2\lambda}[/tex] = y

I plugged both of them into the constraint g(x,y) = x2-y2-2 = 0

Both x and y cancels out! and so

-2 = 0

I am sure I am doing something wrong because there is an answer! I've checked using an online calculator.

Can anyone please show me what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you parametrize x and y using hyperbolic substitution:

[tex]
\begin{array}{rcl}
x & = & \sqrt{2} \; \epsilon \cosh{t}, \; \epsilon = \pm 1 \\

y & = & \sqrt{2} \sinh{t}, \; -\infty < t < \infty \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

and substitute this into the function [itex]f(x, y)[/itex], you will get a function of a single variable [itex]\tilde{f}(t)[/itex]. Can you find its analytic expression? Does this function have extrema?

you made an error in the last line. The first and second term cancel.

Dickfore said:
you made an error in the last line. The first and second term cancel.

Yes you right I made a mistake, the substitution is the way to go

Sorry guys, but I still do not know what to do if the x's and y's cancels out...

x^2-y^2=2 is the same as (x+y)(x-y)=2 is the same as (x-y)=2/(x+y). Have you considered the possibility it may not have any extrema?

Dick said:
x^2-y^2=2 is the same as (x+y)(x-y)=2 is the same as (x-y)=2/(x+y). Have you considered the possibility it may not have any extrema?

Yes... but, I said I used the online calculator and it said the values for the extrema.

Here is the link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=maximize+x-y+on+x^2-y^2-2%3D0

Note*** I may be misreading the values on the online calculator

Don't trust wolfram alpha for everything, I don't even know what it's trying to say. I think it's simply confused. You've correctly concluded a local extremum exists if 0=(-2). It doesn't. There aren't any local extrema.

Thank you!

1. What does it mean to find the extrema of a function?

Finding the extrema of a function means determining the highest and lowest points of the function, also known as the maximum and minimum values. This can help to understand the overall behavior and characteristics of the function.

2. How do you find the extrema of a function?

To find the extrema of a function, you must first take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variables to find the critical points. These critical points will be the potential extrema of the function. You can then use the second derivative test to determine whether each critical point is a maximum or a minimum.

3. What is the purpose of stating a constraint when finding the extrema of a function?

A constraint is a condition that must be satisfied in order to find the extrema of a function. It helps to narrow down the possible solutions and makes the problem more specific. For example, a constraint could be a limited range of values for the variables in the function.

4. Can the extrema of a function be found without a constraint?

Yes, the extrema of a function can be found without a constraint. However, a constraint can make the problem more manageable and may provide additional information about the function.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding extrema of a function?

Finding extrema of a function has many real-life applications, such as optimizing production processes, finding the optimal solution to a problem, and analyzing the behavior of financial investments. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to understand the relationships between variables and make informed decisions.