Find the extreme values of the polynomial function

In summary, the task is to find the extreme values of a polynomial function. The Hessian matrix test is inconclusive, so other methods must be used. By varying the values of the other terms and examining the effect on the term with an odd power, it is determined that the critical point (0,0,0,0) must be a saddle point.
lep11

Homework Statement

The task is to find the extreme values (and their nature) of the polynomial function . $$f(\vec{x})=x_1x_2+x_1^2+x_2^2+x_3^3+x_4^4.$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The critical point is ##a=(0,0,0,0)##, which is the solution to ##\nabla{f(a)}=0.## If we form the Hessian matrix $$H_f=\begin{bmatrix}
2& 1 & 0 & 0 \\
1& 2 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 &0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
\end{bmatrix}$$ ,it's easy to see that ##det(H_f)=0##, thus the product of the eigenvalues is zero. This test is inconclusive.

How would one determine the extreme values of ##f## in this case? What is the general approach?

I have also tried

## f(\vec{h})=(h_1+\frac{h_2}{2})^2+(h_4^2)^2+h_3^3,##where the term ##h_3^3##
is giving trouble. I cannot factor ##f## such that ##f(\vec{h})=(\alpha_1(\vec{h}))^2+...+(\alpha_k(\vec{h}))^2-(\alpha_{k+1}(\vec{h}))^2-...-(\alpha_{k+l}(\vec{h}))^2,## where ##\alpha_i## are linearly independent linear functions.

Graphical interpretation is not an option either, since we are in ##\mathbb{R^4}.##In addition I have tried different values of ##x_1,...,x_4## to try to determine if ##a## is min/max point at all without success.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe I don't understand the question, but what would be the extremal values of x3?

haruspex said:
Maybe I don't understand the question, but what would be the extremal values of x3?
Is there something unclear or is the question badly-worded? We are interested in the max/min values of the given function. Since the gradient is zero at (0,0,0,0), something could be happening at that point (local maxima,minima, saddle point). However, the hessian eigenvalues test is inconclusive. I feel like I don't have the tools. Maybe one could determine and show algebrally, but then the right values are needed. So, how would one proceed? How would it help to examine the extremal values of ##x^3##?

Last edited:
lep11 said:
How would it help to examine the extremal values of x3?
Because you have the term x33, and no other references to x3. So for any given values of the other terms, you can vary x3 freely and see how it affects the result. It is the only such term with an odd power, which makes it rather interesting.

haruspex said:
Because you have the term x33, and no other references to x3. So for any given values of the other terms, you can vary x3 freely and see how it affects the result. It is the only such term with an odd power, which makes it rather interesting.
##f(0,0,\frac{1}{n},0)=\frac{1}{n^3}>0## and ##f(0,0,-\frac{1}{n},0)=-\frac{1}{n^3}<0## for all naturals ##n##. Thus ##a## must be saddle point. Correct?

lep11 said:
##f(0,0,\frac{1}{n},0)=\frac{1}{n^3}>0## and ##f(0,0,-\frac{1}{n},0)=-\frac{1}{n^3}<0## for all n. Thus ##a## must be saddle point.
Right.

1. What is a polynomial function?

A polynomial function is a mathematical function that is made up of one or more terms, where each term is a constant or a variable raised to a non-negative integer power. Examples of polynomial functions include x^2 + 3x - 4 and 2x^3 - 5x^2 + x + 1.

2. How do you find the extreme values of a polynomial function?

To find the extreme values of a polynomial function, you first need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. Next, plug these critical points into the original function to determine their corresponding y-values. The highest and lowest y-values will be the maximum and minimum values of the function, respectively.

3. What is the significance of finding the extreme values of a polynomial function?

Finding the extreme values of a polynomial function can help determine the highest and lowest points of the function, which can be useful in a variety of applications. For example, in the field of economics, the maximum and minimum values of a cost function can help determine the most efficient production level for a company.

4. Can a polynomial function have more than two extreme values?

Yes, a polynomial function can have multiple extreme values. This can occur when the function has multiple local maximum and minimum points. These points can be identified by taking the second derivative of the function and finding the points where it equals zero.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the extreme values of a polynomial function?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can be used to find the extreme values of a polynomial function. For example, if the function is a quadratic (has a degree of 2), the vertex formula can be used to quickly find the coordinates of the vertex, which represents the extreme value of the function. Additionally, knowing the properties of the graph of polynomial functions, such as the end behavior and symmetry, can also help in identifying extreme values.