1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the focal length of a concave lens using a convex lens?

1. Jun 11, 2008 #1
    Can anyone explain to me the procedure that one would follow to you find the focal length of a concave lens using a convex lens? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2008 #2
    Yeah there is a way

Assume the convex lens creates an image of S at the point S'. Now if you put a concave lens in front of the convex one then the image of S will move further and will be at point S''. Now consider a reverse path of light: S'' is now the object and you'll see it's image at S' which is created by the concave lens. Let the distance from the "center" of the concave lens to S'' be a and the distance from S' to the "center" of the concave lens be b. Then using the lens formula:

[tex] -\frac{1}{f}=\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b} [/tex] notice there is a minus near b and f. It's because the image is imaginary

Thus

[tex] f=\frac{ab}{b-a} [/tex]

I hope I didn't make any mistakes

4. Jun 12, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

erm, armis … you're doing it again!

If you'd changed "Then using the lens formula:" to "Then use the lens formula! :smile:", and stopped there, then that would have been a good hint. :wink:

(The OP can always come back and ask for more help, if necessary, of course :smile:)

5. Jun 12, 2008 #4
    Oh... I thought I was supposed to do that only in the homework section, sorry. But it does make a lot more sense your way. I think I finally got the idea

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook