Find the intersection of a particle and a plane in R3

In summary, the particle hits the plane at (1,1,1) and the angle between the particle's path and the plane is 45 degrees.
tiki84626

Homework Statement

The starting position of a particle in R3 is (1,1,1) and it's traveling with constant velocity (2,-1,1). Where does it hit the plane {(x,y,z)|x - 2y + z = 4}. And find the angle between the path of the particle and the plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any relevant equations (e.g., equation of a line in space, parametric equation of a plane in space, angle between two vectors)?

What attempt have you made?

yeah i am having trouble figuring out how to find the equation for the path of the particle. From there I think it should be pretty easy, just setting them equal and finding their intersection. and then for the angle between them i can just use the dot product, but with what vectors?

I'm trying to get you to fill in the information you neglected to enter in the first post.

one can express a line by a pair of linear equations

ax+by+cz+d=0 and a'x+b'y+c'z+d'=0

such that bc'-cb', ca'-ac', and ab'-ba' are not all zero. The line thus defined is parallel to the vector

(bc'-cb', ca'-ac', ab'-ba').

Line through (x0,y0,z0) parallel to the vector (a,b,c):

(x-x0)/a = (y-y0)/b = (z-z0)/c

Now, the angle between two vectors can be obtained by using the dot product:

angle = arccos ((a . b)/|a||b|)

as for my attempt, i am having trouble just getting off the ground.

Well, that's a start. One that I had in mind was how do you write the equation of a line in space, give a point P(x0, y0, z0) on the line and a vector v = <A, B, C> with the same direction as the line?

This is directly relevant to your problem, whereas what you wrote about the intersection of two planes isn't.

So, the equation for a line in space is: r = r0 +tv = (x0,y0,z0) + t<a,b,c>

but once i have that, how do i solve for their intersection? and the angle between them?

For their intersection, do i just solve the system of equations:

x = x0 + ta
y = y0 + tb
z = z0 + tc
x - 2y + z = 4

but what about t?and for the the angle between them, can i just use the vector form of the line, and a vector parallel to the plane and then use the dot product?

Last edited:
Now this is something you should have included in the Relevant equations part in your first post.

Put the data of your problem into the equation r = (x0,y0,z0) + t<a,b,c>

Every point on your plane satisfies
x = 2y -z + 4
y = y
z = z

If the line and the plane intersect, their x coordinates, y coordinates, and z coordinates have to be equal.

Ok, so i get the equation for the line:

(x,y,z) = (1 + 2t, 1 - t, 1 + t)

x = 1 + 2t
y = 1 - t
z = 1 + t

So, using the equations for our plane:

x = 2y - z + 4
y = y
z = z

we get that:

y = 1 - t
z = 1 + t
x = 1 + 2t = 2(1 - t) - (1 + t) + 4
t = 4/5

So, is their intersection point (13/5, 1/5, 9/5)?

Check and see. Does this point satisfy your equations for the line and the plane? If so, you're golden.

1. What is the equation for finding the intersection of a particle and a plane in R3?

The equation for finding the intersection of a particle and a plane in R3 is known as the "point-normal form" and is given by (x,y,z) = (x0, y0, z0) + t(a,b,c), where (x0, y0, z0) is a known point on the plane and (a,b,c) is the normal vector to the plane.

2. How do you determine if a particle intersects with a plane in R3?

To determine if a particle intersects with a plane in R3, you can substitute the coordinates of the particle into the equation for the plane. If the resulting equation is satisfied, then the particle intersects with the plane. If not, then the particle does not intersect with the plane.

3. Can there be more than one point of intersection between a particle and a plane in R3?

Yes, there can be more than one point of intersection between a particle and a plane in R3. This occurs when the particle's path lies entirely within the plane, resulting in multiple points that satisfy the equation for the plane.

4. What if the particle's path is parallel to the plane in R3?

If the particle's path is parallel to the plane in R3, then there is no point of intersection between the two. This is because the particle's path never crosses or touches the plane, and thus does not satisfy the equation for the plane.

5. Are there any limitations to using the point-normal form for finding the intersection of a particle and a plane in R3?

One limitation of using the point-normal form is that it assumes the plane is infinite and has no boundaries. This may not accurately represent real-world scenarios, where planes may have finite boundaries. In these cases, alternative methods, such as using parametric equations, may be more suitable for finding the intersection of a particle and a plane in R3.