Minimizing distance from point to intersection of two planes

In summary: I have fixed it.In summary, the problem is to find the point on the line of intersection of two planes that is closest to the point (2,1,1) not on this line. The solution involves finding the equations of the planes and then using a geometric approach to determine the shortest distance.
icesalmon

Homework Statement

identify the point on the line of intersection of the two planes that is nearest to the point (2,1,1) not on this line
p1: x + 2y - z - 1 = 0
p2: x + y + z - 3 = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can find the line of intersection by crossing the two normal vectors from p1 and p2
so N3 = <1,2,-1> x <1,1,1> and then trying to minimize the distance from the point (2,1,1) to N3 by differentiating the distance formula using the x,y,z parameters.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would NOT find the line of intersection that way. Instead, solve the two equations simultaneously: adding the two equations gives 2x+ 3y- 4= 0 so y= -(2/3)x- 4/3. Then we can write the second equation as x+ y+ z- 3= x- (2/3)x- 4/3+ z- 3= 0 so z= -(1/3)x+ 13/3. We could take "x" as the parameter or, to reduce the number of fractions, x= 3t, y= -2t- 4/3, z= -t+ 13/3. Now, you could minimize the distance by differentiating the distance formula but I think it would be simpler to use the geometric fact that the line giving the shortest distance to a line must be perpendicular to that line. And that means that the line giving the shortest distance form (2, 1, 1) to the line must line in the plane perpendicular to the line containing the point (2, 1, 1). A vector in the direction of this line is <3, -2, -1> and is perpendicular to that plane so that plane is 3(x- 2)- 2(y- 1)- (z- 1)= 0. Determine the point where the line x= 3t, y= -2t- 4/3, z= -t+ 13/3 crosses that plane and find the distance from that point to (2, 1, 1).

how did you get a negative 4/3 on the RHS after 2x + 3 y - 4 = 0 shouldn't it be y = 4/3 -(2x/3)

Yes, I wrote it wrong.

1. What is the formula for calculating the minimum distance from a point to the intersection of two planes?

The formula for calculating the minimum distance from a point to the intersection of two planes is: d = |(ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d)| / √(a² + b² + c²), where (x0, y0, z0) is the coordinates of the point and (a, b, c) are the coefficients of the normal vectors of the two planes.

2. How do you find the normal vectors of two intersecting planes?

The normal vectors of two intersecting planes can be found by taking the cross product of the direction vectors of the two planes. This will give you a vector that is perpendicular to both planes and can be used as the normal vector for both planes.

3. Can the minimum distance from a point to the intersection of two planes be negative?

No, the minimum distance from a point to the intersection of two planes is always positive. This is because distance is a scalar quantity and cannot have a negative value.

4. What is the significance of minimizing the distance from a point to the intersection of two planes?

Minimizing the distance from a point to the intersection of two planes is important in many applications, such as finding the closest point of approach for two moving objects or determining the shortest distance between two parallel surfaces. It is also a fundamental concept in linear algebra and vector calculus.

5. Is there a geometric interpretation of the minimum distance from a point to the intersection of two planes?

Yes, the minimum distance from a point to the intersection of two planes can be interpreted as the length of the shortest line segment connecting the point to the intersection of the two planes. This line segment will be perpendicular to both planes, forming a right triangle with the point and the intersection of the planes as its vertices.