Find the interval of convergence.

In summary, the homework question involves finding the interval of convergence for the series \sum n^(1/2)*x^n where n=1 and goes to infinity. The student attempted to use the Ratio Test and got the absolute value of x as the answer. They now need to check if the endpoints (-1,1) converge by treating it as an alternating series and using the absolute value test for divergence. They also discuss the series \sum x^n/n^3 where n=1 and goes to infinity, and conclude that it converges absolutely.
Sabricd

Homework Statement

[tex]\sum[/tex] n^(1/2)*x^n where n=1 and goes to infinity.

Sorry, I'm new at this. I was kind of hoping to get help finding the interval of convergence.
After using the Ratio Test I got for an answer the absolute value of x. I know I have to prove whether or not the endpoints (-1,1) converge or not. Can I just treat it as an alternating series and apply its absolute value and test for divergence?

Physics news on Phys.org
So basically, you'll need to check if the series

[tex]\sum{\sqrt{n}}~\text{and}~\sum{(-1)^n\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

converge. Does the sequence [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex] converge to 0? What can you conclude from this?

Well if I take the limit of it and if the limit = 0 then it is convergent. If not, it is divergent, correct?

So I could basically take the absolute value and say that it diverges by the Test of Divergence...right?

You can only say, if it doesn't converge to 0, then our serie is divergent.
If it does converge to 0, then you have to apply another test.

Sabricd said:
So I could basically take the absolute value and say that it diverges by the Test of Divergence...right?

right!

Thank you!

How about [tex]\sum[/tex] x^n/n^3 where n=1 and goes to infinity. I know the radius for convergence is 1. However, I have to prove whether the endpoints (-1, 1) converge. Hence, would the answer be no, it diverges since x does not have a limit?

You'll need to see whether the series

[tex]\sum{\frac{1}{n^3}}~\text{and}~\sum{\frac{(-1)^n}{n^3}}[/tex]

These series will both converge (absolutely)...

Yes! p series! :)

1. What is the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is the range of values for which a given mathematical series converges, meaning that the sum of the terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you find the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence can be found by using the ratio test, which compares the absolute value of the ratio of successive terms in the series to a limit. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges, and the interval of convergence can be determined from the center of the series and the radius of convergence.

3. What is the significance of the interval of convergence?

The interval of convergence is important because it tells us the range of values for which the series will converge. This information is useful in determining the behavior and properties of the series, such as its sum and convergence rate.

4. Can the interval of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the interval of convergence can be infinite. This means that the series will converge for all values in the real number line. However, it is also possible for the interval of convergence to be a finite range of values.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the interval of convergence?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the interval of convergence, such as the root test and the integral test. These tests also compare the given series to a known limit or integral to determine if the series converges or diverges.