Find the length of curve r=cos(theta)-sin(theta)

  • Thread starter Thread starter mill
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
mill
Messages
72
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the length of the curve r=cosΘ - sinΘ, 0≤Θ≤∏/4

Homework Equations



Arc length = ∫|v| dt

The Attempt at a Solution



I found r'(θ), then used the arc length formula.

Arc length = ∫ sqrt (sin^2 Θ + cos^2 Θ) = ∫ dΘ

and integrated it to find ∫dΘ = ∏/4

The correct answer is however ∏/(2sqrt(2)). Where did I go wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mill said:

Homework Statement



Find the length of the curve r=cosΘ - sinΘ, 0≤Θ≤∏/4

Homework Equations



Arc length = ∫|v| dt

The Attempt at a Solution



I found r'(θ), used the arc length formula, and integrated it to find ∫dΘ = ∏/4. The correct answer is however ∏/(2sqrt(2)). Where did I go wrong?

We can't guess unless you post your work.
 
I will guess that he is confusing a parametric (vector) equation of a curve with a polar coordinate equation of a curve.
 
LCKurtz said:
I will guess that he is confusing a parametric (vector) equation of a curve with a polar coordinate equation of a curve.

Could you possibly expand on this? I am not sure what you mean.
 
mill said:
Could you possibly expand on this? I am not sure what you mean.

There is quite a different formula for the length of a curve in polar coordinates. It is ##\displaystyle s = \int_{\theta_1}^{\theta_2}\sqrt{r^2 + {(\frac{dr}{d\theta})}^2}d\theta.## When you apply some trig identities, the problem becomes very simple.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
LCKurtz said:
I will guess that he is confusing a parametric (vector) equation of a curve with a polar coordinate equation of a curve.

mill said:
Could you possibly expand on this? I am not sure what you mean.

Your given equation is not a parametric equation like ##\vec r(t)=\langle x(t),y(t)\rangle## so your arc length formula doesn't apply. It is a polar coordinate equation like ##r = f(\theta)##. Look up the formula for arc length for a polar coordinate equation.
 
Thanks so much. I didn't realize there was another formula.