Find the limit of (sqrt(1+2x) - sqrt(1+3x))/(x + 2x^2) as x->0

• Thread starter kreil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is discussing ways to solve a limit problem involving a square root and a fraction. The suggested methods are to use L'Hopital's rule, multiply by the conjugate of the numerator, or rationalize the numerator. It is also recommended to test the solution numerically and to learn and use L'Hopital's rule if it hasn't been taught yet.
kreil
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm having a lot of trouble making any progress on this limit. If someone could give me a direction to get started I would appreciate it.

[tex]\lim_{x{\rightarrow}0}\frac{\sqrt{1+2x}-\sqrt{1+3x}}{x+2x^2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Use L'Hopitals Rule.

Or you could multiply by the conjugate of the numerator. (ie, sqrt(1+2x)+sqrt(1+3x)).

Go with StatusX's advice if L'Hopitals Rule wasn't taught yet because then it wouldn't be appropriate.

If you haven't learned L'Hopitals Rule, I recommend to learn it and use it to check your answer

Also, you can always test it numerically. I do that sometimes just to be 100% certain. I would try something like x=0.01, 0.001 and 0.0001.

As stated above, L'Hopital's rule, or, if that's not allowed, rationalize the numerator.

1. What is the limit of the expression as x approaches 0?

The limit of the expression is 1/4.

2. How do you simplify this expression before finding the limit?

Before finding the limit, the expression can be simplified by factoring out a common factor of x from both the numerator and denominator.

3. Can this limit be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

Yes, L'Hopital's rule can be used to evaluate this limit by taking the derivatives of the numerator and denominator separately.

4. Is it necessary to use substitution to evaluate this limit?

No, substitution is not necessary for this limit as it can be evaluated using algebraic simplification and L'Hopital's rule.

5. What does this limit represent in terms of the original function?

This limit represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at x=0.