Find the magnitude and direction of the electric force

In summary, the electric potential energy at A is greater than the electric potential energy at B, causing a force pointing in the direction of motion.
metalmagik

Homework Statement

A particle has a charge of +1.5 µC and moves from point A to point B, a distance of 0.15 m. The particle experiences a constant electric force, and its motion is along the line of action of the force. The difference between the particle's electric potential energy at A and B is EPEA - EPEB = +9.0 10-4 J.

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric force that acts on the particle.
_______N the direction of motion (along, against, perpendicular)

(b) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field that the particle experiences.
_______N/C the direction of motion (along, against, perpendicular)

Homework Equations

PE = qV

C = q/V

E = F/q

V = Ed

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the four formulas above to reach two answers. I'm no good with LaTeX so, i apologize but bear with me.

PE = qV
9e-4 J = (1.5e-6 C)V
V = 600 V

C = q/V
C = (1.5e-6)/600
C = 2.5e-9 F

V = Ed
600 = (.15)E
E = 4000 N/C

E = F/q
4000 = F/(1.5e-6)
F = .006 N

As for the direction...I believe the force is along the direction of motion...and the E field is perpendicular? I know the formulas and am doing the work right but if someone could clarify if I have I am understanding it right and using the right numbers I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution seems right, except for one silly application, namely q/V = C. The q is the charge of a particle, and V is the potential difference between two points on its trajectory, so this has nothing to do with any charge on a capacitor.

But, yes, you have correctly calculated the potential difference needed for a certain potential energy to correspond to a charged particle ;

given that potential difference, over a certain distance, that gives you the electric field, also ok, and knowing the electric field and the charge, you know the mechanical force acting. Also ok.

Now, the field and the force are in the same direction (if q is positive).
Let's just reason about mechanical potential energy: if the potential energy is HIGHER at point A than at point B, then that means that it is "easier" for the particle to be at point B than at point A. So the force points then how ?
And given that the force is in the same direction as the field ...

(btw I didn't check the arithmetic...)

Thanks vanesch, You really helped me out a lot with that last paragraph of your response, its like 1 AM right now, I am going to bed but I am going to take your information and fully reason it out tomorrow, when I am not tired...thanks a bunch

What is the equation for finding the magnitude of the electric force?

The equation for finding the magnitude of the electric force is F = k * (q1 * q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges involved, and r is the distance between the charges.

How do you determine the direction of the electric force?

The direction of the electric force is determined by the direction of the electric field, which is a vector quantity. The force will be in the direction of the electric field at any given point.

What factors affect the magnitude of the electric force?

The magnitude of the electric force is affected by the distance between the charges, the strength of the charges, and the medium between the charges. The force is stronger when the charges are closer together and weaker when they are further apart.

How is the electric force related to the Coulomb's law?

The electric force is directly related to the Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

Can the electric force be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, the electric force can be both attractive and repulsive. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive, pulling the charges towards each other. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, pushing the charges away from each other.