Find the Magnitude of Average velocity using the given vectors

In summary, average velocity is the displacement of an object divided by the time taken for that displacement. To calculate it using given vectors, you need to find the total displacement vector and divide it by the total time taken. The units for average velocity are meters per second (m/s) in the SI system, and it can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction or slowing down. It is different from instantaneous velocity, which only considers the object's velocity at a specific moment in time, while average velocity takes into account the overall velocity over a certain time period.
aatari
Homework Statement
The drone flies in a straight line, and records how much time it took. Each new motion is relative to the present position. Meaning, a motion of (5i,0j,0k) followed by ( 5i,0j,0k) moves a distance of 10m. The following inputs were given, with their corresponding times in flight:

(3 i, -2 j, 5 z) --- 4s
(-15 i, 20 j, -18 z) --- 6s
(25 i, 24 j, -23 z) --- 10s

What was the magnitude of the average velocity during the entire flight?
Relevant Equations
Average Velocity = Magnitude of R/Total Time
Hi Guys I've attempted the question but not sure if the approach I used is correct. Would someone please have a look at my solution and let me know if it makes sense.
Thanks!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 6.03.25 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 6.03.25 PM.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 107
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me :oldsmile:

Likes aatari
TSny said:
Looks good to me :oldsmile:
Ok Thank You!

Likes TSny

1. What is the definition of average velocity?

Average velocity is the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time. It is calculated by dividing the displacement of an object by the time interval over which the displacement occurred.

2. How do you find the magnitude of average velocity using given vectors?

To find the magnitude of average velocity using given vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, add the x-components and y-components of the vectors. Then, use the resulting x and y values as the sides of a right triangle. The magnitude of the average velocity is equal to the length of the hypotenuse of the triangle.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the overall rate of change of an object's position over a given time interval. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the object's position function.

4. Can the magnitude of average velocity be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of average velocity can be negative. This indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction of the coordinate system. However, the magnitude itself is always a positive value.

5. How does the direction of the vectors affect the magnitude of average velocity?

The direction of the vectors affects the magnitude of average velocity because it determines the angle between the vectors. This angle is used in the calculation of the magnitude using the Pythagorean theorem. A larger angle between the vectors will result in a larger magnitude of average velocity, while a smaller angle will result in a smaller magnitude.