1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the matrix representations of the Differentiation Map in the Basis

1. Oct 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that B = {x2 −1,2x2 +x−3,3x2 +x} is a basis for P2(R). Show that the differentiation map D : P2(R) → P2(R) is a linear transformation. Finally, find the following matrix representations of D: DSt←St, DSt←B and DB←B.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have proved that it is a linear transformation, but I'm really not sure where to begin with the second part. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2012 #2

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I take it St means "standard basis" I.e. {1,x,x^2}.
    First see what the action of D is on the basis vectors for each basis and express these results as a linear combination of basis elements. Then see how the matrix form is supposed to do exactly the same thing to match up components.

4. Oct 15, 2012 #3

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I find it helpful to express expansion in a given basis by writing the row (matrix) of basis elements and the element as a matrix product. Thus e.g.

[tex] ax^2 + bx + c = \left[ 1, x, x^2 \right]\cdot \left(\begin{array}{c}c \\ b\\ a\\ \end{array}\right) [/tex]

You can then solve for the components of the matrix [itex]\mathbf{M}[/itex] in the equation:

[tex]D \left\{ \left[ \mathbf{basis}_1 \right] \cdot\left(\begin{array}{c}c \\ b\\ a\\ \end{array}\right) \right\}=\left[\mathbf{basis}_2\right] \cdot \left\{ \mathbf{M}\cdot \left(\begin{array}{c}c \\ b\\ a\\ \end{array}\right)\right\} [/tex]
    EDIT: Oops! I had my products backward, now fixed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook