Find the Maximum (absolute) Vale of the Bending Moment

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Northbysouth
Messages
241
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Draw the shear and moment diagrams for the loaded beam. Then answer the questions. The distance x is measured from point A to the right.

I have attached an image of the problem.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I've managed to answer everything but the maximum bending moment correctly.

What I've tried is to take a FBD of the beam from point A to somewhere in the region where the 570 lb/ft force acts. Then knowing that Ay = 1795.5 lb and that V =0 (V is the shear force) I calculated

ƩMA=0
0 = -(570 lb/ft)(3.15 ft)(6.3 + 3.15) + M
M = 33934.95 lb/ft

But it says my answer is wrong and I'm at a loss as to what I'm doing wrong.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
 
Attachments
  • Statics hwk 20 5.136.png
    Statics hwk 20 5.136.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,343
Physics news on Phys.org
I just found my mistake. It should be:

M = 570*3.15*(3.15/2 + 6.3)
M = 14139.5625 lb.ft