Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

In summary, a block of mass 2.0kg is dropped from height h=70cm onto a spring of spring constant k=1960 N/m. The maximum distance the spring is compressed is x=.118m.
A_lilah

Homework Statement

A block of mass 2.0kg is dropped from height h=70cm onto a spring of spring constant k=1960 N/m. Find the maximum distance the spring is compressed.

Homework Equations

KE initial + PE initial = KE final + PE final
KE = 1/2(mass)(velocity)^2
PE = mgh or, when dealing with a spring, PE = 1/2 (k)(compression distance)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The initial velocity is zero, so the initial KE is zero
The final height is zero so the final PE is zero

2kg(9.8)(.7m) = (1/2)(1960)x^2

where x is the distance the spring is compressed
solve for x... x = .118m
but it is not the right answer...

Any help is appreciated,
Thanks,
A

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: before the block falls on the spring, the gravitational potential energy is not mgh since the spring compresses a bit.

but I thought if I wanted to calculate the total amount the spring compressed, the amount of energy at the very end of the fall (the instant before hits the spring-before it compresses) should equal the amount of energy the block has when it stops on the spring... I am very confused!
Should KE at the end of the fall = (1/2)(1960)x^2 ?

That would be true if the spring somehow compressed without the top end of the spring actually being compressed downward, which is impossible.

I'm sorry~ I'm still not quite sure I understand:
so as the block hits the spring:
1/2m(vinitial)^2 + 1/2k(xinital)^2 + mgh = 1/2k(xfinal)^2
??
if x final = 0, then the whole thing = 0... which doesn't work out very well (square root of a negative number...)

Set your 0 point so that at the point where the spring is compressed at its lowest point, that is your h = 0. So then how far above the lowest point is the block before you let it go?

x + .7 meters?

Now you can move on.

Thank you!
(they should make a monument to super physics people like you)
:P

1. How do you calculate the maximum distance a spring is compressed?

The maximum distance a spring is compressed can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This can be represented by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring.

2. What factors affect the maximum distance a spring can be compressed?

The maximum distance a spring can be compressed is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the spring, the spring constant, and the applied force. Additionally, the temperature and age of the spring can also impact its maximum compression distance.

3. Can the maximum distance a spring is compressed be negative?

No, the maximum distance a spring is compressed cannot be negative. This is because the displacement of a spring is measured from its equilibrium position, which is considered to be 0. Therefore, the maximum distance the spring is compressed can only be a positive value.

4. How does the maximum distance a spring is compressed affect its potential energy?

The maximum distance a spring is compressed is directly proportional to its potential energy. As the spring is compressed, its potential energy increases, and when the spring is released, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. The equation for potential energy of a spring is PE = 1/2kx², where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring.

5. What is the significance of finding the maximum distance a spring is compressed?

Finding the maximum distance a spring is compressed is important in many applications, such as in designing springs for specific purposes or in understanding the behavior of materials under stress. It is also useful in calculating the potential energy stored in a spring, which can be utilized in various mechanical devices.