1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the maximum value of this expression

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]\dfrac{tan\left( \theta + 2\pi /3 \right) - tan\left( \theta + \pi /6 \right) + cos\left( \theta + \pi /6 \right)}{\sqrt{3}} \\

\theta \in \left( -5 \pi /12, - \pi /3 \right)
    [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    At maximum, f'(x)=0

sin(θ+∏/6)=0

But there is no theta in the given interval that satisfies this equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2
    I haven't checked whether you did your differentiation correctly (something that you definitely want to check), but in general, for functions defined on a finite domain, the global maximum and minimum points need not occur at stationary points (which correspond to local minima / maxima). The global maximum and minimum can also be attained at the endpoints of the interval.

4. Jun 12, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

To maximise this expression means you want to maximise the numerator of that expression.
    Consider each term individually and find θ in domain such that each term is ether maximised or minimised depending on the sign preceding it.

Sketch a graph or note that tan and cos are strictly increasing functions on this domain.

5. Jun 12, 2013 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

I later thought about this. Let me try out.

6. Jun 12, 2013 #5
    Instead of graph, I think you can do it algebraically too.

Rewrite ##\tan(\theta+2\pi/3)=-\cot(\theta+\pi/6)##.
    Let ##\theta+\pi/6=t##. Then ##-\pi/4<t<-\pi/6##.

Now it's much easier to solve. You can find the derivative or analyze the graph of the resulting expression.

Hope that helped.

7. Jun 12, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not on an open interval. On an open interval there can be a supremum at an endpoint, but no maximum. Of course, one might speak informally of a maximum in such a case, but it is not technically correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted