Find the maximum value of this expression

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum value of a given expression within a given interval, and suggests using algebraic or graphical methods to do so. The global maximum and minimum points may not necessarily occur at stationary points, and the global maximum can also be attained at the endpoints of the interval.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex]\dfrac{tan\left( \theta + 2\pi /3 \right) - tan\left( \theta + \pi /6 \right) + cos\left( \theta + \pi /6 \right)}{\sqrt{3}} \\

\theta \in \left( -5 \pi /12, - \pi /3 \right)
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

At maximum, f'(x)=0

sin(θ+∏/6)=0

But there is no theta in the given interval that satisfies this equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't checked whether you did your differentiation correctly (something that you definitely want to check), but in general, for functions defined on a finite domain, the global maximum and minimum points need not occur at stationary points (which correspond to local minima / maxima). The global maximum and minimum can also be attained at the endpoints of the interval.

To maximise this expression means you want to maximise the numerator of that expression.
Consider each term individually and find θ in domain such that each term is ether maximised or minimised depending on the sign preceding it.

Sketch a graph or note that tan and cos are strictly increasing functions on this domain.

Fightfish said:
I haven't checked whether you did your differentiation correctly (something that you definitely want to check), but in general, for functions defined on a finite domain, the global maximum and minimum points need not occur at stationary points (which correspond to local minima / maxima). The global maximum and minimum can also be attained at the endpoints of the interval.

I later thought about this. Let me try out.

Instead of graph, I think you can do it algebraically too.

Rewrite ##\tan(\theta+2\pi/3)=-\cot(\theta+\pi/6)##.
Let ##\theta+\pi/6=t##. Then ##-\pi/4<t<-\pi/6##.

Now it's much easier to solve. You can find the derivative or analyze the graph of the resulting expression.

Hope that helped.

Fightfish said:

Not on an open interval. On an open interval there can be a supremum at an endpoint, but no maximum. Of course, one might speak informally of a maximum in such a case, but it is not technically correct.

1. How do I find the maximum value of an expression?

To find the maximum value of an expression, you can use calculus techniques such as setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the critical points, or finding the intervals where the function is increasing or decreasing. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the function and visually identify the maximum value.

2. Can I use the quadratic formula to find the maximum value of a quadratic expression?

Yes, you can use the quadratic formula to find the maximum value of a quadratic expression. The maximum value will occur at the vertex of the parabola, which can be found using the formula x = -b/2a.

3. What is the difference between absolute maximum and relative maximum?

The absolute maximum of an expression is the largest value that the expression can attain over its entire domain, while the relative maximum is the largest value within a specific interval. The absolute maximum may not always exist, but the relative maximum will always exist within a closed interval.

4. Is there a shortcut or formula for finding the maximum value of an expression?

There is no general formula or shortcut for finding the maximum value of an expression. It will depend on the specific function and its characteristics. However, there are various techniques and strategies that can be used, such as calculus methods, graphing, and algebraic manipulation.

5. Can the maximum value of an expression be negative?

Yes, the maximum value of an expression can be negative. It is simply the largest value that the expression can attain, regardless of whether it is positive or negative. However, if the expression represents a physical quantity, a negative maximum value may not make sense in the context of the problem.