Find the mean number density of particles in the stellar atmosphere.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Jon.G
Messages
43
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The atmosphere of a star has a mean radiation pressure of 0.33 N m-2and a mean gas pressure of 8300 N m-2. Calculate:
a) the mean number density of particles in the stellar atmosphere, and
b) the radiation pressure in a stellar atmosphere with twice the effective temperature.

Homework Equations


[itex]Radiation pressure = \frac{4 \sigma T^{4}}{3c}[/itex] where σ = 5.67*10-8


The Attempt at a Solution


a) From the radiation pressure equation, I get T=6016K
and I'm not sure where to go from here. I would have thought to have used pV=nRT, but then that bring volume into the equation. I know it's probably really simple and is just something I am forgetting, but I just can't figure it out :/


b) Multiply the given value (0.33) by 16, as it is T4
5.28Pa


Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jon.G said:
I would have thought to have used pV=nRT, but then that bring volume into the equation.
You wish to find n/V, right?
 
:S
Yes I do.
... I don't even know what to say, how could I not see that?

Thanks