Find the mean number density of particles in the stellar atmosphere.

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the mean number density of particles in a star's atmosphere and the radiation pressure in a stellar atmosphere with twice the effective temperature. The radiation pressure equation is used to find the temperature and then the ideal gas law is used to find the number density. In the second part, the given value is multiplied by 16 to find the radiation pressure. The conversation ends with the realization that the ideal gas law can be used to find n/V.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

The atmosphere of a star has a mean radiation pressure of 0.33 N m-2and a mean gas pressure of 8300 N m-2. Calculate:
a) the mean number density of particles in the stellar atmosphere, and
b) the radiation pressure in a stellar atmosphere with twice the effective temperature.

Homework Equations

[itex] Radiation pressure = \frac{4 \sigma T^{4}}{3c} [/itex] where σ = 5.67*10-8

The Attempt at a Solution

a) From the radiation pressure equation, I get T=6016K
and I'm not sure where to go from here. I would have thought to have used pV=nRT, but then that bring volume into the equation. I know it's probably really simple and is just something I am forgetting, but I just can't figure it out :/

b) Multiply the given value (0.33) by 16, as it is T4
5.28Pa

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jon.G said:
I would have thought to have used pV=nRT, but then that bring volume into the equation.
You wish to find n/V, right?

:S
Yes I do.
... I don't even know what to say, how could I not see that?

Thanks

What is the mean number density of particles in the stellar atmosphere?

The mean number density of particles in the stellar atmosphere refers to the average number of particles per unit volume in the outer layers of a star. This value is important for studying the physical conditions and dynamics of stellar atmospheres.

How is the mean number density of particles calculated?

The mean number density of particles in the stellar atmosphere is calculated by dividing the total number of particles in the atmosphere by the total volume of the atmosphere. This can be determined using various observational methods and theoretical models.

Why is the mean number density of particles important in understanding stars?

The mean number density of particles is a crucial factor in understanding the physical processes and dynamics occurring in a star's atmosphere. It can provide insight into the temperature, density, and pressure of the gas in the atmosphere, as well as the energy transfer mechanisms and chemical composition.

How does the mean number density of particles vary among different types of stars?

The mean number density of particles in a stellar atmosphere can vary greatly among different types of stars. For example, stars with higher masses and temperatures tend to have higher mean number densities, while cooler and less massive stars have lower mean number densities. Additionally, the composition of a star's atmosphere can also affect the mean number density of particles.

How does the mean number density of particles change over the lifetime of a star?

The mean number density of particles in a star's atmosphere can change over its lifetime. For example, as a star ages and undergoes different stages of stellar evolution, its mean number density may increase or decrease due to changes in its size, temperature, and composition. Studying these changes can provide valuable information about the evolution of stars.