1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the minimal polynomial

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the minimal polynomial of [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{1+2^{1/3}}[/tex] over Q

we'll call this x

2. Relevant equations
    I wish I knew some :(

3. The attempt at a solution

By taking powers of x, I was able to show that the extension Q(x) has degree six (since 21/3 and sqrt(3) are both independently inside Q(x)) and hence the minimal polynomial has degree six. So then I took a general degree six polynomial, plugged in x, and got six equations in six unknowns. This is less than elegant, and I ended with a system of equations (luckily three of the six unknown coefficients were zero):

255b + 261d + 595f = -171
    150b + 222d + 460f = -144
    105b + 159d + 375f = -108

solving for b,d,f. An attempt at a numerical solution doesn't convince me this has a rational solution, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a computational error preceding this. Is there a better way to do this?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about starting from the equation x=sqrt(31)+2^(1/3)? So (x-sqrt(31))^3=2. Expand the left side and move all of the terms involving sqrt(31) to one side and everything else to the other. Now square.

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, you posted before I fixed the latex. Different value for x

EDIT: Same principle worked though. Thanks a ton

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fast, aren't I? Same idea. x=sqrt(3)/(1+2^(1/3)) -> x2^(1/3)=sqrt(3)-x. Cube, rearrange and then square.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?