1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the minimum of c(3a+4b) when a^2+b^2 +c^2=1.

1. May 14, 2017 #1

ssd

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a,b,c real and a^2+b^2 +c^2=1, to find the minimum of c(3a+4b)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    No positive clue yet.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2017 #2
    What is the condition for a point [itex](a,b,c)[/itex] to be the minimum point of a function?

4. May 14, 2017 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I suggest you look up Lagrange's method of undetermined multipliers. It is a good method for solving problems of this type. Have you studied it in your class?

5. May 14, 2017 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For each choice of ##a## and ##b## there are two choices for ##c##:
    $$c = + \sqrt{1-a^2-b^2}\\
    c = - \sqrt{1-a^2-b^2}
    $$
    Each choice of ##c = c(a,b)## gives you a function ##F(a,b) = (3a + 4b) c(a,b)## to minimize. This new problem does not have an equality constraint anymore, but it still has a restriction ##a^2 + b^2 \leq 1##, which you can try to ignore when making your first solution attempt

6. May 14, 2017 #5

ssd

Thanks all for your kind suggestions. The Lagrangian multiplier solves the problem.

7. May 14, 2017 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would introduce new coordinates:
    $$x=\frac {3a+4b}{5}$$
    $$y=\frac {4a-3b}{5}$$
    This is just a rotation in the a,b plane.
    Now we have to minimize ##5cx## with the constraint ##c^2+x^2+y^2=1##. As you found an answer already: By inspection, we see that ##c=-x=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}## leads to a minimum. Alternatively, introduce a second set of coordinates for the sum and the difference of c and x to make it a one-dimensional problem.

8. May 19, 2017 #7

ssd

Thanks mfb. Nice approach.

9. May 19, 2017 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If that solves the problem what is the solution please?

I have some doubts, whether e.g. for the problem to make sense a, b, c should be restricted to be positive, or ask minimum absolute value or that your minimum is a a calculus minimum not the least value.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  10. May 19, 2017 #9

ssd

The result is a=-1/2, b=-1/2, c=1/√2 as per my calculations.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  11. May 19, 2017 #10

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I think you made a mistake. I agree that c^2 = 1/2. The value of c(3a+4b) for your solution is -7√2/4 = -2.47. There is another condition where c(3a+4b) = -2.5. Why don't you walk us through your LaGrange multiplier calculation and let's see where you went wrong.

12. May 19, 2017 #11

ssd

Surely I shall check my calculations. Notwithstanding though, when it is -2.5?

13. May 19, 2017 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

At ##c=-x=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}## and ##y=0## using x and y as defined in post 6. a and b will have different magnitudes at the minima.

14. May 19, 2017 #13

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Since this is in the homework section, I can't give you my solution. Like I asked, walk me through how you arrived at your solution and we will critique it.

15. May 20, 2017 #14

ssd

Well, I got it. a=-3/5√2 and b= -4/5√2.
    Actually I mentally calculated the minimum of 3a+4√(1/2-a^2) is at a=1/2 and that was the mistake. Since, our minimum could be the min of 3a-4√(1/2-a^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted