Find the minimum of c(3a+4b) when a^2+b^2 +c^2=1.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ssd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Minimum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 2K views
ssd
Messages
268
Reaction score
6

Homework Statement



Given a,b,c real and a^2+b^2 +c^2=1, to find the minimum of c(3a+4b)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


No positive clue yet.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the condition for a point [itex](a,b,c)[/itex] to be the minimum point of a function?
 
I suggest you look up Lagrange's method of undetermined multipliers. It is a good method for solving problems of this type. Have you studied it in your class?
 
ssd said:

Homework Statement



Given a,b,c real and a^2+b^2 +c^2=1, to find the minimum of c(3a+4b)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


No positive clue yet.

For each choice of ##a## and ##b## there are two choices for ##c##:
$$c = + \sqrt{1-a^2-b^2}\\
c = - \sqrt{1-a^2-b^2}
$$
Each choice of ##c = c(a,b)## gives you a function ##F(a,b) = (3a + 4b) c(a,b)## to minimize. This new problem does not have an equality constraint anymore, but it still has a restriction ##a^2 + b^2 \leq 1##, which you can try to ignore when making your first solution attempt
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave
Thanks all for your kind suggestions. The Lagrangian multiplier solves the problem.
 
I would introduce new coordinates:
$$x=\frac {3a+4b}{5}$$
$$y=\frac {4a-3b}{5}$$
This is just a rotation in the a,b plane.
Now we have to minimize ##5cx## with the constraint ##c^2+x^2+y^2=1##. As you found an answer already: By inspection, we see that ##c=-x=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}## leads to a minimum. Alternatively, introduce a second set of coordinates for the sum and the difference of c and x to make it a one-dimensional problem.
 
ssd said:
Thanks all for your kind suggestions. The Lagrangian multiplier solves the problem.

If that solves the problem what is the solution please?

I have some doubts, whether e.g. for the problem to make sense a, b, c should be restricted to be positive, or ask minimum absolute value or that your minimum is a a calculus minimum not the least value.
 
Last edited:
The result is a=-1/2, b=-1/2, c=1/√2 as per my calculations.
 
Last edited:
ssd said:
The result is a=-1/2, b=-1/2, c=1/√2 as per my calculations.

I think you made a mistake. I agree that c^2 = 1/2. The value of c(3a+4b) for your solution is -7√2/4 = -2.47. There is another condition where c(3a+4b) = -2.5. Why don't you walk us through your LaGrange multiplier calculation and let's see where you went wrong.
 
Surely I shall check my calculations. Notwithstanding though, when it is -2.5?
 
At ##c=-x=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}## and ##y=0## using x and y as defined in post 6. a and b will have different magnitudes at the minima.
 
ssd said:
Surely I shall check my calculations. Notwithstanding though, when it is -2.5?
Since this is in the homework section, I can't give you my solution. Like I asked, walk me through how you arrived at your solution and we will critique it.
 
Well, I got it. a=-3/5√2 and b= -4/5√2.
Actually I mentally calculated the minimum of 3a+4√(1/2-a^2) is at a=1/2 and that was the mistake. Since, our minimum could be the min of 3a-4√(1/2-a^2).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: mfb