Find the minimum of c(3a+4b) when a^2+b^2 +c^2=1.

• Thread starter ssd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Minimum
In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem involving finding the minimum of a function, but made a mistake in their calculations. They found a minimum at -2.47, which was not the minimum they were looking for.
ssd

Homework Statement

Given a,b,c real and a^2+b^2 +c^2=1, to find the minimum of c(3a+4b)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No positive clue yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the condition for a point [itex](a,b,c)[/itex] to be the minimum point of a function?

I suggest you look up Lagrange's method of undetermined multipliers. It is a good method for solving problems of this type. Have you studied it in your class?

ssd said:

Homework Statement

Given a,b,c real and a^2+b^2 +c^2=1, to find the minimum of c(3a+4b)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No positive clue yet.

For each choice of ##a## and ##b## there are two choices for ##c##:
$$c = + \sqrt{1-a^2-b^2}\\
c = - \sqrt{1-a^2-b^2}
$$
Each choice of ##c = c(a,b)## gives you a function ##F(a,b) = (3a + 4b) c(a,b)## to minimize. This new problem does not have an equality constraint anymore, but it still has a restriction ##a^2 + b^2 \leq 1##, which you can try to ignore when making your first solution attempt

Likes scottdave
Thanks all for your kind suggestions. The Lagrangian multiplier solves the problem.

I would introduce new coordinates:
$$x=\frac {3a+4b}{5}$$
$$y=\frac {4a-3b}{5}$$
This is just a rotation in the a,b plane.
Now we have to minimize ##5cx## with the constraint ##c^2+x^2+y^2=1##. As you found an answer already: By inspection, we see that ##c=-x=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}## leads to a minimum. Alternatively, introduce a second set of coordinates for the sum and the difference of c and x to make it a one-dimensional problem.

Thanks mfb. Nice approach.

Likes mfb
ssd said:
Thanks all for your kind suggestions. The Lagrangian multiplier solves the problem.

If that solves the problem what is the solution please?

I have some doubts, whether e.g. for the problem to make sense a, b, c should be restricted to be positive, or ask minimum absolute value or that your minimum is a a calculus minimum not the least value.

Last edited:
The result is a=-1/2, b=-1/2, c=1/√2 as per my calculations.

Last edited:
ssd said:
The result is a=-1/2, b=-1/2, c=1/√2 as per my calculations.

I think you made a mistake. I agree that c^2 = 1/2. The value of c(3a+4b) for your solution is -7√2/4 = -2.47. There is another condition where c(3a+4b) = -2.5. Why don't you walk us through your LaGrange multiplier calculation and let's see where you went wrong.

Surely I shall check my calculations. Notwithstanding though, when it is -2.5?

At ##c=-x=\pm \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}## and ##y=0## using x and y as defined in post 6. a and b will have different magnitudes at the minima.

ssd said:
Surely I shall check my calculations. Notwithstanding though, when it is -2.5?
Since this is in the homework section, I can't give you my solution. Like I asked, walk me through how you arrived at your solution and we will critique it.

Well, I got it. a=-3/5√2 and b= -4/5√2.
Actually I mentally calculated the minimum of 3a+4√(1/2-a^2) is at a=1/2 and that was the mistake. Since, our minimum could be the min of 3a-4√(1/2-a^2).

Likes mfb

1. What is the meaning of "minimum" in this context?

The term "minimum" refers to the smallest possible value that can be obtained for the expression c(3a+4b) while still satisfying the given condition a^2+b^2+c^2 = 1.

2. How can I solve for the minimum of c(3a+4b)?

To solve for the minimum, we can use the method of Lagrange multipliers. This involves setting up a system of equations using the given expression and the constraint a^2+b^2+c^2 = 1, and then solving for the values of a, b, and c that satisfy these equations.

3. Is there a specific formula for finding the minimum of c(3a+4b)?

There is no specific formula for finding the minimum in this case, as it depends on the specific values of a, b, and c that satisfy the given constraint. However, the method of Lagrange multipliers provides a systematic approach for solving for the minimum value.

4. Can the minimum be negative?

Yes, the minimum value of c(3a+4b) can be negative depending on the values of a, b, and c. This is because the given expression does not have any restrictions on the sign of the variables a, b, and c.

5. Are there any real-life applications for this type of problem?

Yes, this type of problem can be seen in various fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. For example, in economics, this type of problem can be used to find the minimum cost for producing a certain quantity of goods. In physics, it can be used to find the minimum energy required to achieve a certain motion or state.