1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the minimum speed of a particle

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    The position function of a particle is given by r(t)=⟨−5t2,−4t,t2+1t⟩.
    At what time is the speed minimum?

I found the speed function by taking the magnitude of the velocity which is

lv(t)l = sqrt(108t^2 +4t + 17)

I then took the derivative of the speed to find the critical point. However, I'm always left with a negative time.

d/dt lv(t)l = (104t + 2)/sqrt(104t^2 +4t+17)

The only way to find the minimum is when the numerator is 0. But when I isolate t, it always equals a negative number.

Is my approach correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Homework problems must be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the technical math sections. I have moved this thread.

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That should be √(104t2 + 4t + 17).

You can find the minimum value of |v(t)| by completing the square inside the radical. I get a negative time. All this denotes is that the speed is smallest at some time before time t = 0.

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4
    But it doesn't make sense when t (time) is less than zero.

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why not? t= 0 is just some arbitrarily chosen time. Why couldn't the particle be moving before that?

7. Oct 31, 2013 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

The other answer is that, if the domain of [itex]r(t)[/itex] is [itex][0,\infty)[/itex], then since [itex]\|v\|[/itex] is strictly increasing in [itex]t > 0[/itex] the particle attains its minimum speed at [itex]t = 0[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted