Find the minimum speed of a particle

In summary: However, it would be more appropriate for the domain to be (-\infty,\infty) since the particle could be moving in the negative t direction at t = 0.In summary, the position function of a particle given by r(t)=⟨−5t2,−4t,t2+1t⟩ can be used to find the speed minimum by taking the derivative of the speed function, which is √(104t2 + 4t + 17), and finding the critical point where the numerator is 0. However, since the particle could be moving in the negative t direction at t = 0, it would be more appropriate to consider a domain of (-\infty,\infty).
coolusername
The position function of a particle is given by r(t)=⟨−5t2,−4t,t2+1t⟩.
At what time is the speed minimum?

I found the speed function by taking the magnitude of the velocity which is

lv(t)l = sqrt(108t^2 +4t + 17)

I then took the derivative of the speed to find the critical point. However, I'm always left with a negative time.

d/dt lv(t)l = (104t + 2)/sqrt(104t^2 +4t+17)

The only way to find the minimum is when the numerator is 0. But when I isolate t, it always equals a negative number.

Is my approach correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework problems must be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in the technical math sections. I have moved this thread.

coolusername said:
The position function of a particle is given by r(t)=⟨−5t2,−4t,t2+1t⟩.
At what time is the speed minimum?

I found the speed function by taking the magnitude of the velocity which is

lv(t)l = sqrt(108t^2 +4t + 17)
That should be √(104t2 + 4t + 17).

You can find the minimum value of |v(t)| by completing the square inside the radical. I get a negative time. All this denotes is that the speed is smallest at some time before time t = 0.
coolusername said:
I then took the derivative of the speed to find the critical point. However, I'm always left with a negative time.

d/dt lv(t)l = (104t + 2)/sqrt(104t^2 +4t+17)

The only way to find the minimum is when the numerator is 0. But when I isolate t, it always equals a negative number.

Is my approach correct?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

But it doesn't make sense when t (time) is less than zero.

Why not? t= 0 is just some arbitrarily chosen time. Why couldn't the particle be moving before that?

The other answer is that, if the domain of [itex]r(t)[/itex] is [itex][0,\infty)[/itex], then since [itex]\|v\|[/itex] is strictly increasing in [itex]t > 0[/itex] the particle attains its minimum speed at [itex]t = 0[/itex].

1. What is the minimum speed of a particle?

The minimum speed of a particle is the lowest possible value for the magnitude of its velocity.

2. How is the minimum speed of a particle calculated?

The minimum speed of a particle can be calculated by finding the derivative of its position function and setting it equal to zero to find the point where the velocity is at its lowest.

3. Why is it important to find the minimum speed of a particle?

Finding the minimum speed of a particle can provide valuable information about its motion, such as the maximum height it can reach or the shortest time it can take to complete a certain distance.

4. Can the minimum speed of a particle be negative?

Yes, the minimum speed of a particle can be negative if the particle is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction chosen for the coordinate system.

5. How does the minimum speed of a particle relate to its acceleration?

The minimum speed of a particle is related to its acceleration through the particle's position function. The minimum speed occurs when the acceleration is equal to zero, meaning the particle is not speeding up or slowing down at that point.