Find the minimum without Calculus or Graphing

In summary, the minimum of the function ƒ(ß)=.5sec(ß) + √[1+(sec2(ß)/4)+tan(ß)/√(2)] can be found at π/12 and has a value of approximately 1.5. To find this minimum, one can use trig identities to simplify the expression, then make a table of values and fit them to a quadratic. The standard formula for the minimum of a parabola can then be used to determine the exact value at π/12.
patrickbotros
Poster is on a 10-day vacation from the PF for repeatedly misplacing schoolwork type questions
ƒ(ß)=.5sec(ß) + √[1+(sec2(ß)/4)+tan(ß)/√(2)]
Without graphing it or using calculus find the minimum. I already know the answer but want to know how to do it. It s at π/12 and is something like 1.5.
First off this is NOT a homework problem. I already know the answer is something like 1.5 at π/12 but I want to know how to do it. DONT PUT THIS IN A HOMEWORK SECTION.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps one can use trig identities to simplify it first.

I'd like to know the actual function. Probably not
patrickbotros said:
ƒ(ß)=.5sec(ß) + √[1+(sec2(ß)/4)+tan(ß)/√(2)]
or, as we write it here $$ {1\over 2\cos\beta}+ \sqrt{ 1 + {1\over 4 \cos^2\beta} + {1\over \sqrt 2}\tan\beta} $$ surely ?

Probably not.
f(Pi/12)=1.73
f(0)=1.62

@OP
Have you checked if the Pi/12 and 1.5 satisfy the expression?

Make a large table of values at small step size.

Pick the three lowest adjacent values.

Fit to a quadratic.

Use the standard formula for the minimum of a parabola opening upward.

1. How can I find the minimum without using Calculus or Graphing?

There are several methods that can be used to find the minimum without using Calculus or Graphing. One approach is to use trial and error, where you test different values until you find the minimum. Another method is to use the first derivative test, which involves finding the critical points of the function and then evaluating the function at those points to determine the minimum. Finally, you can also use the bisection method, which involves repeatedly dividing the interval in half until the minimum is found.

2. What is the first derivative test and how does it work?

The first derivative test is a method for finding the minimum of a function without using Calculus or Graphing. It involves finding the critical points of the function, which are the points where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. Then, you can evaluate the function at these points to determine the minimum.

3. Can the bisection method be used to find the minimum of any function?

Yes, the bisection method can be used to find the minimum of any function. This method involves repeatedly dividing the interval in half until the minimum is found. It can be used for both continuous and non-continuous functions.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using trial and error to find the minimum?

One drawback of using trial and error to find the minimum is that it can be time-consuming and tedious. Additionally, it may not always result in an accurate minimum, as it relies on guessing and checking values.

5. How can I determine if a function has a minimum using the first derivative test?

To determine if a function has a minimum using the first derivative test, you need to find the critical points of the function. If the derivative is positive to the left of the critical point and negative to the right, then the critical point is a minimum. If the derivative is negative to the left and positive to the right, then the critical point is a maximum. If the derivative is zero at the critical point, then further analysis is needed to determine if it is a minimum or maximum.