Find Missing Number & Character: Solve the Puzzle

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a puzzle of finding a missing character in a given image. The participants gave hints and discussed various patterns and approaches to solve the puzzle. Eventually, one person figured out the solution and shared their method. The conversation also touched upon the structure of the image and how it could be misleading in finding the solution.
zorro
Find the missing character:

[URL]http://203.196.176.41/VLEBT_RootRepository/Resources/00691241-f3e9-4bb4-a75b-2dd1dd260922.gif[/URL]

The answer given is
and I have no way to figure it out. It might be 12 according to me because the upper half and lower half can have the same sum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
how?

Abdul Quadeer said:
how?

That would spoil the fun...

DaveC426913 said:
That would spoil the fun...

exactly

but I'll give you a hint ... it's VERY simple arithmetic

phinds said:
but I'll give you a hint ... it's VERY simple arithmetic

Thats not a hint. Such questions are always based on simple arithmetic. Tell me whether it involves addition, multiplication...?, relationship between the numbers in upper half/lower half or right half/left half?

Abdul Quadeer said:
Thats not a hint. Such questions are always based on simple arithmetic. Tell me whether it involves addition, multiplication...?, relationship between the numbers in upper half/lower half or right half/left half?

You don't want a hint, you want a tug on the nose ring. :biggrin:

That being said, I have not figured it out either. But if he gives me the hints you asked for, it will pretty much be solved anyway.

My guess is that it has something to with fractions in the four quadrants. 2/3:5:7 :: ?/7:11/15 is not quite right but I think that's the nut to crack.

Last edited:
very likely your problem is that you are not picking the right quadrants to compare. Perhaps I just stumbled on it, but I have done a LOT of these problems (I love them) and did not find this one challenging, although I can certainly see that if you don't pick the right quadrants, it just isn't going to have an answer.

One more hint. There is nothing complicated about which sets of quadrants to pick. That is, it's not some odd or random pattern in the quadrants but rather an extremely regular grouping.

phinds said:
very likely your problem is that you are not picking the right quadrants to compare. Perhaps I just stumbled on it, but I have done a LOT of these problems (I love them) and did not find this one challenging, although I can certainly see that if you don't pick the right quadrants, it just isn't going to have an answer.

One more hint. There is nothing complicated about which sets of quadrants to pick. That is, it's not some odd or random pattern in the quadrants but rather an extremely regular grouping.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, one of the tricky bits is that it is not a precise mathematical relation. i.e. it is the more like a "closest to" relation - such as "nearest fraction to".

DaveC426913 said:
And, correct me if I'm wrong, one of the tricky bits is that it is not a precise mathematical relation. i.e. it is the more like a "closest to" relation - such as "nearest fraction to".

No, it's much more straightforward than that (it's an exact outcome), but it does use more than one arithmetic operator.

This is what I got back solving -
In the 3rd quadrant, (7+5)/2 - 1 gives 2+3 which in the 2nd quadrant
Now this pattern is opposite in the right half i.e. (11+15)/2 - 1 gives 12 which equals 7 + 5. But I don't think it is possible to figure this out without knowing the answer or may be it is (possible).

Abdul Quadeer said:
This is what I got back solving -
In the 3rd quadrant, (7+5)/2 - 1 gives 2+3 which in the 2nd quadrant
Now this pattern is opposite in the right half i.e. (11+15)/2 - 1 gives 12 which equals 7 + 5. But I don't think it is possible to figure this out without knowing the answer or may be it is (possible).

You are getting WAAAYYY too complicated.

Don't know if this will be encouraging or not but I gave this to my son (who is a drama major but is very bright) and it took him 1/2 hour to get it.

phinds said:
You are getting WAAAYYY too complicated.

Thats all I could think of. Now since I have solved it tell me your method.

Doh.

DaveC426913 said:
Doh.

Yeah, I sometimes feel the same way once I finally get one of these. I just happened to see this one almost immediately.

piece of cake...lol

I consider this one a bit irritating (as with so many similar puzzles) because the answer shows that values in right half of diagram are simply a systematic function of those in left half, but the diagram misleadingly suggests a more general rotational symmetry.

Jonathan Scott said:
I consider this one a bit irritating (as with so many similar puzzles) because the answer shows that values in right half of diagram are simply a systematic function of those in left half, but the diagram misleadingly suggests a more general rotational symmetry.
Why is that irritating? Should the puzzle walk you down a garden path to the answer?

DaveC426913 said:
Why is that irritating? Should the puzzle walk you down a garden path to the answer?

The solution involves trying to find a rule which accounts for a pattern, but in this case the structure of the diagram implies a different pattern from the actual answer, which undermines the point of the puzzle. The obvious question "why is it arranged like that?" is expected to be relevant to the puzzle, but turns out to be completely spurious.

Jonathan Scott said:
The solution involves trying to find a rule which accounts for a pattern, but in this case the structure of the diagram implies a different pattern from the actual answer, which undermines the point of the puzzle. The obvious question "why is it arranged like that?" is expected to be relevant to the puzzle, but turns out to be completely spurious.

The pattern is not completely spurious; it is quite straightforward, quite regular and quite relevant to the puzzle.

The problem here that you are interpreting what you think the pattern is. You see a rotational pattern. Surely that's not the only pattern you see?

I toyed with a rotational pattern as one possible pattern, but I sure didn't make the mistake of assuming that's what the solution was supposed to be. I looked at quadrants, I looked at complementary zones, I looked at adjacent patterns and mirror patterns. That's point of a puzzle, find the one pattern in a sea of possible patterns.

(Did it occur to you that each quadrant could represent a fraction? 2/3, 5/7 11/15 and that these fractions might have a pattern?)

It sounds to me like you're used to doing very easy puzzles, where there are strong hints in the puzzle to lead you down a garden path.

DaveC426913 said:
The pattern is not completely spurious; it is quite straightforward, quite regular and quite relevant to the puzzle.

The problem here that you are interpreting what you think the pattern is. You see a rotational pattern. Surely that's not the only pattern you see?

I toyed with a rotational pattern as one possible pattern, but I sure didn't make the mistake of assuming that's what the solution was supposed to be. I looked at quadrants, I looked at complementary zones, I looked at adjacent patterns and mirror patterns. That's point of a puzzle, find the one pattern in a sea of possible patterns.

(Did it occur to you that each quadrant could represent a fraction? 2/3, 5/7 11/15 and that these fractions might have a pattern?)

It sounds to me like you're used to doing very easy puzzles, where there are strong hints in the puzzle to lead you down a garden path.

I don't do puzzles very much now; I did quite a lot about 40 years ago, but I can mostly find better uses for my brain now. I didn't even do this one; I happened to look at the thread after someone had already solved it, so I don't know how difficult it would have been. I was merely commenting on the fact that I found it irritating that the layout suggested a symmetry which was not present in the solution. I guess it could have been rotated 90, 180 or 270 degrees without really making much difference, and if all the numbers had for example moved round one slot either way so the "maps to" line was diagonal, it could still have been considered valid. I therefore felt it was rather a "weak" puzzle.

Most of my puzzles now come as part of my systems software developer job, for example trying to guess how a 1-bit overwrite occurred at an apparently random address in protected operating system storage in a heavily loaded transaction processing system. In such cases, noticing patterns - things that are common or different - is key to solving the problems. A couple of weeks ago, it was the absence of a particular routine progress message (normally hidden in hundreds of others) which turned out to be the key clue. In such "real life" puzzles, there may occasionally be irrelevant patterns, but they aren't usually added just to waste time.

Jonathan Scott said:
I was merely commenting on the fact that I found it irritating that the layout suggested a symmetry which was not present in the solution.
The layout suggests only as many symmetries as the imagination of the person solving it. I still don't know why you think it suggests rotational symmetry any more than any other kind of symmetry, such as mirror or quadrant.

In fact, if your logic were sound, and the pattern were rotational, you should have expected the puzzle to be circular. The fact that it's
a] rectangular and
b] has vertical, horizontal and 45 degree symmetry
should have suggested to you (as it did to me) mirror or quadrant. Which, in fact, the puzzle is.

Jonathan Scott said:
Most of my puzzles now come as part of my systems software developer job...

Ah well, being a software developer myself, and having not solved it, I think we can agree that software dev skills are not a prerequisite to solving puzzles for entertainment. In fact, it could work to our detriment. :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
Ah well, being a software developer myself, and having not solved it, I think we can agree that software dev skills are not a prerequisite to solving puzzles for entertainment. In fact, it could work to our detriment. :biggrin:

Well, I'm not so sure about that. I've been writing programs for 49 years now (I don't do it for a living any more ... I manage people who do it for a living) and it seems to me that the math-oriented mind that is good at programming is usually good at these kinds of things. I certainly agree w/ you that it is very odd that Jonathan Scott insists on constraining his imagination so much.

phinds said:
I've been writing programs for 49 years now
How's that COBOL comin' along? :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
How's that COBOL comin' along? :biggrin:

The ONE single computer language that I have avoided like the plague !

Jeez, I hate that language. I can't think of any other languge that had any widespread use up to about 20 years ago that I did not become a guru in, including a few that most people now have never even heard of, such as APL.

Well, I guess that statement is not exactly true, since I only became expert in 5 or so different assembly languages out of who knows how many there were.

phinds said:
The ONE single computer language that I have avoided like the plague !

Jeez, I hate that language.

I had to learn some of it in school. Ugh. If I wanted to write a novel, I'd have been a novel writer.

DaveC426913 said:
I had to learn some of it in school. Ugh. If I wanted to write a novel, I'd have been a novel writer.

Hm ... smilies seem to be reduce to just a few. Was going to put big grin.

Yeah, I agree w/ that. I actually DID have to use it a little once, that's how I know I hate it.

1. How can I find the missing number or character in a puzzle?

There are a few strategies you can use to find the missing number or character in a puzzle. One approach is to look for patterns and relationships between the given numbers or characters. Another strategy is to use trial and error by plugging in different numbers or characters until you find one that fits the pattern. You can also try working backwards from the final solution to see if you can find a logical sequence.

2. What are some common types of puzzles that involve finding missing numbers or characters?

There are many different types of puzzles that involve finding missing numbers or characters. Some common ones include number sequences, word or letter patterns, Sudoku, and logic puzzles. These puzzles may have different rules and strategies, but they all involve finding a missing element to complete a pattern or sequence.

3. How can I improve my skills for solving missing number and character puzzles?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your skills for solving puzzles. Start with simpler puzzles and work your way up to more challenging ones. It's also helpful to learn different problem-solving strategies and techniques, such as recognizing patterns, using logic, and working backwards from the solution. Additionally, staying organized and keeping track of your thought process can also help in solving these types of puzzles.

4. Are there any online resources or tools that can assist in solving missing number and character puzzles?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available that can assist in solving missing number and character puzzles. These include websites and apps that generate puzzles and provide hints and solutions, as well as online communities where you can discuss strategies and solutions with other puzzle enthusiasts. Additionally, there are various techniques and algorithms that can be used to solve specific types of puzzles, such as Sudoku or number sequences.

5. Can finding missing numbers or characters in puzzles help improve cognitive skills?

Yes, solving puzzles that involve finding missing numbers or characters can help improve cognitive skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and pattern recognition. These skills are important in many aspects of life, and regularly practicing puzzles can help keep the mind sharp and agile. Additionally, solving puzzles can be a fun and engaging way to exercise the brain and improve overall cognitive function.