1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the net torque about an axis through O

1. Dec 15, 2005 #1
    [​IMG]

Find the net torque about an axis through O

I know Torque = F*r*sin(angle) but how the heck am I supposed to get the radius for that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2005 #2
    if the force is going through O, and you set the axis of rotation at O, then there is no net torque. (the radius is zero)

4. Dec 17, 2005 #3

mukundpa

Homework Helper

r*sin(angle) is the perpendicular distance of the force vector from the axis of rotation.

5. Dec 17, 2005 #4
    Please provide me a magnifying lens, my specs don't help me much!!!
    Anyway, for beginners write the force in vector form as well as the vector r which is the vector joining the point with respect to which torque is measured to the point at which force is applied. Here the torque is defined as the croos product of vector r to vector f

6. Dec 17, 2005 #5

mukundpa

Homework Helper

beware! dont give pressur to your eyes. r is zero here. you can't see it.

7. Dec 17, 2005 #6

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Yeah, from the diagram given, it looks as though the force is applied at O, so there is no net torque.

8. Dec 17, 2005 #7
    trick question, i guess? if i were taking a test and i saw that, i wouldn't be too happy. =P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?