1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the normalisation constant using a trial wavefunction

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a particle of mass m, confined to a one dimensional infinite potential of
    0[tex]\leq[/tex]x[tex]\leq[/tex]1 V(x) = 0
    elsewhere V(x) = [tex]\infty[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Choose as a trial wavefunction

[tex]\Psi[/tex](x) = Nx[1 - [tex]\alpha[/tex]x + ([tex]\alpha[/tex] - 1)x[tex]^{2}[/tex]]

Verify that

N[tex]^{2}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{K}{16 - 11\alpha + 2\alpha^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1 = <[tex]\Psi[/tex]|[tex]\Psi[/tex]>

1 = [tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex]Nx[1 - [tex]\alpha[/tex]x + ([tex]\alpha[/tex] - 1)x[tex]^{2}[/tex]] Nx[1 - [tex]\alpha[/tex]x + ([tex]\alpha[/tex] - 1)x[tex]^{2}[/tex]] dx

1 = N[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\int^{1}_{0}[/tex] x[tex]^{2}[/tex][1 - [tex]\alpha[/tex]x + ([tex]\alpha[/tex] - 1)x[tex]^{2}[/tex]][tex]^{2}[/tex]

Is this right so far?? I'm not sure how to carry on. Should I expand the brackets??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    Yes and Yes. Well, you could possibly integrate it as is, but it'd be easier to see after expanding the parenthesis.

PS: Rather than typing {tex}code{/tex} for every variable, just write the whole thing in tex, it'll look a bit nicer.

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    When I expand the brackets and multiply by x^2

I get the following:

x[tex]^{6} + x^{2} + 2 \alpha^{2} - \alpha^{4} - 2 \alpha x^{3} + \alpha^{2}x^{4} - \alpha x^{5}[/tex]

This seems totally wrong when I look at what I am supposed to get for N^2...

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4
    I think you expanded incorrectly. You should get

[tex]
    \left(\alpha-1\right)^2x^6-2\alpha(\alpha-1)x^5+2(\alpha-1)x^4+\alpha^2x^4-2\alpha x^3+x^2
    [/tex]

When you integrate this over the range 0 to 1, you should get the answer.

6. Oct 23, 2009 #5
    If it helps see a little bit more clearly, [tex]K=210[/tex]. Not sure why your question put [tex]K[/tex] rather than [tex]210[/tex], but it is what it is.

Also, you could fully expand what I wrote down and then integrate, but you'll have a few extra terms to work with; it's usually easier to expand and regroup after integration.

7. Oct 23, 2009 #6
    Ah, excellent! Thank you SO much for your help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook