Find the point estimate of p using method of moments

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Phox
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let X1, X2,..., Xn be a random sample of size n from a geometric distribution for which p is the probability of success. Let m denote the sample mean.

Use the method of moments to find a point estimate for p. Please write your answer in terms of m.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


so wouldn't this just be the answer?

5ob18m.png


I don't understand what it means by in terms of m. It seems like the answer should be more simple than this because I have to type it into a basic text box.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Phox said:

Homework Statement



Let X1, X2,..., Xn be a random sample of size n from a geometric distribution for which p is the probability of success. Let m denote the sample mean.

Use the method of moments to find a point estimate for p. Please write your answer in terms of m.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


so wouldn't this just be the answer?

5ob18m.png


I don't understand what it means by in terms of m. It seems like the answer should be more simple than this because I have to type it into a basic text box.

What do you mean by ##k_1, k_2, \ldots, k_n?## For a given sample, how would you compute m?