Find the point(s) on the parabola x= y^2-8y+18 closest to (-2,4)

• Thread starter physphys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parabola
In summary, you found the point on the parabola closest to (-2,4) by solving a cubic equation in y. You found that the point lies on the line which passes through (-2,4) and is perpendicular to the parabola at the point where they cross. After differentiating, you have 2d' = 4y^3 - 48y^2 + 210y -328. You are not sure what to do next, and any help is appreciated.
physphys

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the distance formula I found that d^2 = y^4 - 16y^3 + 105y^2 - 328y + 416
after differentiating I have 2d' = 4y^3 - 48y^2 + 210y -328
I'm not sure what to do now, or what I may have done wrong, any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd have used the fact that the point closest to (-2,4) will lie on the line that passes through (-2,4) and is perpendicular to the parabola at the point where they cross.

Unredeemed said:
I'd have used the fact that the point closest to (-2,4) will lie on the line that passes through (-2,4) and is perpendicular to the parabola at the point where they cross.

I don't understand what you mean. We were just taught to use the distance formula D^2 = (X2-X1)^2 + (Y2-Y1)2
I subbed in -2 as x1 and 4 as y1 then the equation of x= y^2 -8y + 18 as X2. Am I doing it wrong?

I feel like using the distance formula is over complicating things. After all, you haven't been asked to find the ACTUAL distance, just the point which is closest. You could do that by minimising the distance, but I think it's easier to think about what this would look like on the graph.

So, the closest point on the parabola is the point which lines on the line which passes through (-2, 4) and intersects the parabola at a right angle.

If you have studied Lagrange's multipliers, that might be the easiest solution.

Otherwise, stick with Unredeemed's advice about the geometrical consideration: minimizing the metric formula yields a cubic equation, as you have already learnt.

Unredeemed, can you please show me how to go on with the process you are talking about? We were taught to find the distance formula then differentiate and solve when it is 0. I've never studies Lagrange's multipliers.

Voko, what would the constraint equation be if you applied the method of Lagrange multipliers?

physphys said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what to do now, or what I may have done wrong, any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

So far, so good. Now you just need to solve a cubic equation in y. You could try using the Rational Root Theorem, or try to solve the equation numerically, or use the exact formula for the roots of a cubic.

You don't have to use any Calculus for this particular problem. Completing the square, [tex]x= y^2-8y+18= y^2- 8y+ 16+ 2= (y- 4)^2+ 2. Notice what the vertex is.

Alcubierre said:
Voko, what would the constraint equation be if you applied the method of Lagrange multipliers?

The equation of the parabola. Minimizing the square of the distance to the point given.

physphys said:

Follow HallsofIvy's hint, write the equation of the parabola in the form x=(y-4)^2+2, by completing the square. Write up d^2 with that formula without expanding it and differentiate. You can also plot out the function and the point and see the solution at once

ehild

1. What is the equation of the parabola?

The equation of the parabola is x= y^2-8y+18.

2. How do I find the point(s) on the parabola closest to (-2,4)?

To find the point(s) on the parabola closest to (-2,4), we need to find the minimum distance between the given point and the parabola. This can be done by finding the derivative of the parabola equation and setting it equal to 0. The resulting x-coordinate will be the x-coordinate of the point(s) closest to (-2,4). Then, plug this x-coordinate into the original equation to find the corresponding y-coordinate(s).

3. Are there multiple points on the parabola closest to (-2,4)?

Yes, there can be multiple points on the parabola closest to (-2,4) depending on the orientation of the parabola and the given point. If the given point lies on the axis of symmetry of the parabola, there will be only one closest point. Otherwise, there can be two closest points, one on either side of the axis of symmetry.

4. Can I use the distance formula to find the point(s) on the parabola closest to (-2,4)?

No, the distance formula cannot be directly applied in this scenario since the parabola is not a straight line. The distance formula only works for finding the distance between two points on a straight line. In this case, we need to use calculus to find the minimum distance between the given point and the parabola.

5. What is the significance of finding the point(s) on the parabola closest to (-2,4)?

Finding the point(s) on the parabola closest to (-2,4) is important in many real-world applications, such as designing bridges or determining the path of a projectile. It helps to minimize the distance between a given point and the parabola, which can lead to more accurate and efficient solutions in various fields of study.