Find the Radius and Center of a Sphere, Quadric Surfaces

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Unicow
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


[/B]
Find the radius and center of sphere
ρ = 28 cos ϕ.

Homework Equations



Relevant equations would be the spherical and rectangular coordinate equations.

The Attempt at a Solution



I started off by multiplying both sides of the equation by ρ to get

ρ^2 = 28 ρ cosϕ

Then this would allow me to get to the equation of a sphere which is

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 28z

I don't really know where to go from here. Could someone point me in the right direction? I can't really seem to find how to get rid of the z. I know the a^2 under x,y,z will give me the radius if I just take a.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Unicow said:

Homework Statement


[/B]
Find the radius and center of sphere
ρ = 28 cos ϕ.

Homework Equations



Relevant equations would be the spherical and rectangular coordinate equations.

The Attempt at a Solution



I started off by multiplying both sides of the equation by ρ to get

ρ^2 = 28 ρ cosϕ

Then this would allow me to get to the equation of a sphere which is

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 28z

I don't really know where to go from here. Could someone point me in the right direction? I can't really seem to find how to get rid of the z. I know the a^2 under x,y,z will give me the radius if I just take a.
From your last equation, ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - 28z = 0##
Complete the square in the z terms. You'll have a sphere whose center is at (0, 0, ?).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Unicow
Mark44 said:
From your last equation, ##x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - 28z = 0##
Complete the square in the z terms. You'll have a sphere whose center is at (0, 0, ?).

You are an absolute life saver haha. Such a simple solution, I really need to learn to think outside the box... .
 
Last edited: