Find the range of this function, given we know its domain is.

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help to understand a solution provided in a textbook for finding the range of a function. The textbook solution involves using the property of square roots and explicitly constructing an x such that f(x)=y for every positive number y. The student initially had trouble understanding this concept but was able to understand it with the help of others. The range of the function is all positive real numbers.
operationsres
Preface: I can't understand a solution provided in a textbook. Please help me to understand.

Homework Statement

Define: [tex]f : D_f \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/tex] such that
[tex]f(x) = \sqrt{x+2}[/tex] and [tex]Domain(f):=D_f = \{x \in \mathbb{R} : x \geq -2\}[/tex]

Find the range of f(x).

2. The textbook's solution
Since the square-root assumes only positive numbers, we conclude that [tex]f(D_f) \subset \{y : y \geq 0\}[/tex]. Further, for every [tex]y \in [0,\inf)[/tex], it follows that [tex]\sqrt{y^2 - 2 + 2} = y [/tex], and hence that [tex]\{y : y \geq 0 \} \subset f(D_f) [/tex] and, finally, that [tex]f(D_f) = \{y : y \geq 0\}[/tex].

3. My problem

I can't understand this. I understand that if [tex]A \subset B[/tex] and [tex]B \subset A[/tex], then A = B. I also understand all notation. I just don't understand why they go [tex]\sqrt{y^2 - 2 + 2} = y \Rightarrow \{y : y \geq 0 \} \subset f(D_f) [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What they want to do is to show that every positive number [itex]y[/itex] is the image of some [itex]x[/itex] in [itex]D_f[/itex] (and that just means there is some [itex]x \in D_f[/itex] such that [itex]f(x)=y[/itex]). To do this, for an arbitrary [itex]y \geq 0 [/itex] they explicitly construct an [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]f(x)=y[/itex]. In this case, that is [itex]x=y^2-2[/itex], and [itex]f(x)=y[/itex] and since [itex]y \geq 0 [/itex] then [itex]y^2 - 2 \geq -2[/itex].

[itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex] is an increasing function, without upper bound, and [itex]\sqrt{3- 3}= \sqrt{0}= 0[/itex]. Those two are enough to tell you that the range is "all positive real numbers".

Last edited by a moderator:
Confuzion solved.

Thanks guys.

1. What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all possible output values, or the values that the function can produce when given input values from its domain.

2. How do you find the range of a function?

To find the range of a function, you can graph the function and identify the highest and lowest points on the graph. Another method is to plug in different values from the domain to the function and list all the resulting output values.

3. Why is it important to know the range of a function?

The range of a function helps us understand the behavior and limitations of the function. It also helps us identify the possible values of the function and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Can a function have an infinite range?

Yes, a function can have an infinite range if the function's domain is also infinite. This means that there is no limit to the values the function can produce.

5. How does the domain of a function affect its range?

The domain of a function determines the input values that the function can take. This, in turn, affects the range of the function as it determines the possible output values. A larger or smaller domain can result in a wider or narrower range, respectively.