Find the rationalizing factor of a mixed surd

• Thread starter Govind_Balaji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed
In summary, the conversation is about finding another irrational number that, when multiplied by the given surd, results in a rational number. The approach used involved multiplying by the conjugate surd and using the identity ##(a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2## to simplify the expression and reduce the number of surds.
Govind_Balaji

Homework Statement

$$\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10}$$ is a surd
Find another irrational number such that when multiplied by $$\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10}$$ , it results a rationall number.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer, but I think I did not find in the correct method.

My first attempt:

I tried multiplying $$\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10} with \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10}.$$

I got
[itex]
\\
\left( \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10} \right )\left (\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10} \right )\\
=2+\sqrt{14}-\sqrt{20}+\sqrt{14}+7-\sqrt{70}-\sqrt{20}-\sqrt{70}+10\\
=19+2\sqrt{14}-2\sqrt{20}-2\sqrt{70}
[/itex]
I didn't get a rational number
My second attempt:

So I tried,

[itex]
\\
\left (\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10} \right )\left ( \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}+\sqrt{10} \right )\\
=2+\sqrt{14}+\sqrt{20}+\sqrt{14}+7+\sqrt{70}-\sqrt{20}-\sqrt{70}-10\\
=2\sqrt{14}-1\\
[/itex]
Extension of my second attempt

I thought I could multiply further.

[itex]
\\
\left (2\sqrt{14}-1 \right )\left (2\sqrt{14}+1\right )\\
=4*14-1\\
=56-1=55\\
[/itex]
I got a rational number by multiplying [itex]\left ( \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}+\sqrt{10} \right )[/itex] with

[itex]\left (\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}-\sqrt{10} \right )[/itex] and further multiplying with [itex]\left (2\sqrt{14}+1\right )[/itex]

That is, multiplying factor=
[itex]\left ( \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{7}+\sqrt{10} \right )\left (2\sqrt{14}+1\right )[/itex]

I think I got the answer with some guess work in my second attempt. In its extension I used
$$a^2-b^2$$ identity.

Is there any identity or a logical way to solve without guessing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing illogical about your second approach. Using ##(a+b)(a-b) = a^2 - b^2## (multiplying by the conjugate surd) is they key to solving many of these questions. The situation is complicated here by the fact that ##a^2## is irrational, but if you remember the square of the binomial ##(x+y)^2 = x^2 + y^2 + 2xy##, you should be able to immediately see that you will reduce the number of surds from 3 to 1 with the first multiplication. All that's left is to multiply by the conjugate surd of the new expression.

The key is always try to reduce the number of surds in each step.

1. What is a mixed surd?

A mixed surd is a mathematical expression that contains both a rational number and an irrational number under a square root sign. For example, √(8/3) is a mixed surd because it contains both the rational number 8 and the irrational number 3 under the square root sign.

2. Why do we need to rationalize a mixed surd?

Rationalizing a mixed surd is important because it allows us to simplify and work with the expression more easily. By removing the irrational number from under the square root sign, we can express the number in its simplest form.

3. How do we find the rationalizing factor of a mixed surd?

The rationalizing factor of a mixed surd is found by multiplying the expression by a suitable form of 1. This form of 1 is usually in the form of the conjugate of the irrational number. For example, to rationalize √(8/3), we would multiply it by √(3/3), which simplifies to √(3).

4. Can we rationalize any mixed surd?

Yes, any mixed surd can be rationalized. However, the process may become more complex for expressions with multiple surds or higher powers. In these cases, it may be helpful to use algebraic techniques to simplify the expression before rationalizing.

5. Why is it important to simplify a rationalized mixed surd?

Simplifying a rationalized mixed surd allows us to easily compare and perform operations with other numbers. It also helps to eliminate any irrational numbers, making the expression more manageable and easier to work with.