Find the resistance of the coil

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cisneros778
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Coil Resistance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Cisneros778
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A water heater consisting of a metal coil that is connected across the terminals of a 24-V power supply is able to heat 270 mL of water from room temperature (20°C) to boiling point in 70 s. What is the resistance of the coil? (When entering units, use ohm for Ω.)


Homework Equations


R = dV/I


The Attempt at a Solution


I am not sure how to approach this one. I think the temperature is throwing me off. I have V so I am trying to find I. I was thinking of using I = dQ/dT since I have the time interval, but finding Q isn't possible unless I am given values for charges. I almost want to use Q = mc*dT but Q here is thermal energy so I'm back to square one.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your thought about thermal energy looks promising. How much energy is required to heat the given amount of water by the stated amount? If it's done in the stated amount of time, what's the power (watts) involved?