1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the slope of the tangent at the given angle theta

1. Jan 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the slope of the tangent line to the give polar curve at the point specified by the value of theta
    R = 1/θ, θ = π

2. Relevant equations
    Slope of a polar equation is (dR/dθsinθ+Rcosθ/dR/dθcosθ-Rsinθ)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using my calculator, I plugged π for θ, -.101 for DR/Dtheta (after differentiating R) and R = 1/π
    I got π/12 as my answer, but the correct answer is -π. Why am I off by a factor of 12?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You'll need to show the details of how you got π/12. I don't see where the factor of 12 could come from.

4. Jan 30, 2015 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your formula is pretty much unreadable. I have no idea what this means.
    [QUOTE="Calpalned"

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using my calculator, I plugged π for θ, -.101 for DR/Dtheta (after differentiating R) and R = 1/π
    I got π/12 as my answer, but the correct answer is -π. Why am I off by a factor of 12?[/QUOTE]
    In general we have x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ). Differentiate both with respect to θ to get dy/dx. When I do this, I get the answer you're supposed to get.

5. Jan 30, 2015 #4
    [itex]\frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}
    frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}
    [itex]\frac{([itex]\frac{dr}{dθ}sinθ + rcosθ}{([itex]\frac{dr}{dθ}cosθ - rsinθ}
    [itex]frac(dr)

6. Jan 30, 2015 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Fixed.
    What I typed was # #\frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}# # (with no extra spaces between the # pairs).

The LaTeX tags come in pairs, with [ itex ] or [ tex ] at the beginning, and [ /itex ] or [ /tex ] at the end (omit the extra spaces. I prefer to use # # at beginning and end (again without the extra spaces, for inline LaTeX, or $ $ at beginning and end for standalone stuff.

You have r = 1/θ. When you write x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ), replace r in each equation by 1/θ. Then take your derivatives. Alternatively, you could calculate dr/dθ from r = 1/θ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted